From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with idle.
|Look up idol in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
An idol is an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed or any person or thing regarded with admiration, adoration, or devotion.
Idol may refer to:
- Cult image, a neutral term for a man-made object that is worshipped or venerated for the deity, spirit or demon that it embodies or represents
- Idolatry, a pejorative term used especially in Abrahamic religions for the worship of idols
- Murti, a point of focus for devotion or meditation in Hindu and Buddhist religion (not always man-made)
In arts and entertainment
- Idols (TV series), one of several television shows that give formerly unknown persons an opportunity to become stars.
- Pop Idol, the original series in the United Kingdom
- Pakistan Idol
- Australian Idol
- Bangladeshi Idol
- Singapore Idol
- Canadian Idol
- Nouvelle Star, in France
- Deutschland sucht den Superstar, in Germany
- Indian Idol
- American Idol, in the United States
- Idol Puerto Rico
- Idols (Danish TV series)
- Idol (Norwegian TV series)
- Idols (Dutch TV series), in the Netherlands
- Ídolos (Portuguese TV series)
- Idols (Finnish TV series)
- Idol (Swedish TV series)
- Idols (South African TV series)
- Idols (West African TV series)
- Indonesian Idol
- Nepal Idol AP1 TV
- Teen idol, a popular celebrity "worshipped" by teenagers
- Japanese idol, a heavily promoted and merchandised singer or actor, a model that will later heavily influence the conception of "idol" in the popular culture of other Asian countries such as: Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, and China.
- K-pop idol
- Billy Idol, English rock musician
- The iDol (film), a Japanese comedy movie
- Idoling!!!, a Japanese female idol group
- "Idol", an episode of the television series Power Rangers: SPD
- Matinee idol, an adored film or theater star
- Idoli, a Serbian new wave band from the early 1980s
- Idolo, Jubert Doctor a.k.a matinee aydol
- 1dol, a Philippine TV musical
- Idols (film), a 1943 Spanish film
- Increased Degradation of LDL Receptor Protein (IDOL), a ubiquitin ligase that ubiquinates LDL receptors in endosomes and directs the receptors to the lysosomal compartment for degradation.
- Brad Cain, a professional wrestler known as Lodi and Idol
- Idol (philosophy), one of several concepts developed by various philosophers
- Idol Records, a record label
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Idol.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.