Ieronymos II of Athens
|Archbishop of Athens|
|Church||Church of Greece|
|Installed||7 February 2008|
|Other post(s)||Metropolitan of Thebes and Levadeia (1981–2008)|
|Ordination||10 December 1967|
|Consecration||4 October 1981|
|Birth name||Ioannis Liapis|
|Born||10 March 1938|
Oinofyta, Boeotia, Greece
|Alma mater||University of Athens|
University of Graz
University of Regensburg
University of Munich
Ieronymos II (Greek: Ιερώνυμος B’, romanized: Ierōnymos II, pronounced [ʝeˈronimos]; born 10 March 1938) is the Archbishop of Athens and All Greece and as such the primate of the Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Greece. He was elected on 7 February 2008.
Ieronymos holds degrees in archaeology, Byzantine studies, and theology from the University of Athens. He has undertaken postgraduate studies at the University of Graz, the University of Regensburg and the University of Munich. Following a stint as lector in Christian archaeology at the Athens Archaeological Society under professor Anastasios Orlandos, he taught as a philologist in Lycée Léonin and he was ordained deacon and then presbyter in the Orthodox Church in 1967.
Ieronymos served as Protosyncellus of the Metropolis of Thebes and Livadeia, abbot of the monasteries of the Transfiguration of Sagmata and Hosios Loukas, and Secretary, later Archsecretary, of the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece. In 1981 he was elected Metropolitan Bishop of Thebes and Levadeia. In addition to his pastoral ministry, Ieronymos has been pursuing his work on Christian archaeology and has published two major textbooks: "Medieval Monuments of Euboea" (1970), and "Christian Boeotia" (2006). In 1998, he unsuccessfully contested the election to the throne of the archbishopric of Athens.
On 7 February 2008, Ieronymos was elected the new Archbishop of Athens and All Greece by the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece, receiving 45 out of 74 votes in a two-ballot process. He formally took office on 16 February 2008.
Archbishop Ieronymos II of Athens
|Reference style||His Beatitude|
|Spoken style||Your Beatitude (Makariótate), Déspota|
The official title of the Archbishop of Athens and All Greece is:
His Beatitude Ieronymos II, Archbishop of Athens and All Greece;
Η Αυτού Μακαριότης ο Αρχιεπίσκοπος Αθηνών και Πάσης Ελλάδος Ιερώνυμος Β'
Social and political views
Notes and references
- "Greek Orthodox bishops elect leader" Archived 2008-02-13 at the Wayback Machine, CNN.com/europe. Accessed 7 February 2008.
- "Ο μητροπολίτης Θηβών εξελέγη νέος Αρχιεπίσκοπος", (in Greek), Accessed 12 November 2020.
- "Bulletin of the Church of Greece. Accessed 7 February 2008.
- "New Leader Named for Greek Orthodox Church, New York Times, 2008-02-07
- "Pope Francis skips many niceties in announcing a visit to Lesbos". The Economist. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- Pope Francis visits Lesbos. The Guardian. Published: 16 April 2016
- "Greek Jews fight neo-Nazi party".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Archbishop Ieronymos II of Athens.|
- Archdiocese of Athens Official website (in Greek)