If (Bread song)
|Single by Bread|
|from the album Manna|
|Released||March 21, 1971|
|Bread singles chronology|
"If" is a song written by American singer-songwriter David Gates in 1971. Originally popularized by his group Bread, the song charted at number four on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 when released as a single in 1971 and number six in Canada. The song also spent three weeks at number one on the U.S. Easy Listening chart, and one week at the top of the Canadian AC chart.
"If" has been a perennial favorite at weddings (for example, as a first-dance song) ever since it was released.
It has been covered by other singers and musicians, including Petula Clark, Sergio Franchi, Cleo Laine, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Jack Jones, Shirley Bassey, Dorothy Squires, Mirusia Louwerse, Herbie Mann, Julio Iglesias, Joe Pass, Ryoko Moriyama, Westlife, Olivia Newton-John, Dolly Parton, Scott Walker, Andy Williams, Frankmusik, Sarah Geronimo (From Sarah G. Live! statement song), Deni Hines, George Millard and Damien Leith.
Telly Savalas recorded a mostly-spoken version which reached number one on the UK Singles Chart for two weeks in March 1975, and has the shortest title of any song to reach number one in the UK. This version also charted at #12 on the US Billboard Easy Listening chart in late 1974. A parody version of the Savalas version, recorded by voiceover artists Chris Sanford and Bill Mitchell performing as Yin and Yan, reached number 25 in the UK.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 39.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "First Dance Songs for Weddings". Weddings.about.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 311. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 166. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary 1961-1993. Record Research. p. 212.
- "About | Chris Sandford - Actor. Presenter. Angler. Writer. Flytyer". Chris Sandford. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Yin And Yan - If (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
"(Where Do I Begin?) Love Story" by Andy Williams
|Billboard Easy Listening number-one single (Bread version)
April 24, 1971 (3 weeks)
"Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" by Lobo
"Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel
|UK number-one single (Telly Savalas version)
March 8, 1975 (2 weeks)
"Bye Bye Baby" by Bay City Rollers