If I Rise
|"If I Rise"|
|Single by A. R. Rahman and Dido|
|from the album 127 Hours: Music from the Motion Picture|
|Released||2 November 2010|
|Songwriter(s)||A. R. Rahman|
|Producer(s)||A. R. Rahman|
The song won numerous awards including Broadcast Film Critics Association Award and Denver Film Critics Society Award. It was also nominated for Best Song Award at the Academy Awards and World Soundtrack Awards.
The song was featured in the climax scene of the film. The chorus portion of the song is sung by The Gleehive Children's Choir, Mumbai. The choir includes Jervis Dias, Kristen Fernandes, Alisha Pais, Jessica Dmello, Sherize Alveyn, Evania Cerejo, Jemima Fernandes, and Aidan D'silva. The portion was recorded at Octavious Studio, Bandra, Mumbai. The song was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Original Song.
The song was first picturised in the climax scene of the film. The official music video, featuring Dido and A. R. Rahman, was released in February 2011. Dido first confirmed on her official website that she and Rahman were going to film a video for the song. The music video was premiered on the Wall Street Journal website on 17 February. It has A. R. Rahman playing harpejji, which was the major instrument used in the track, and Dido singing the track along with Rahman. A few scenes from the film, mainly featuring James Franco, are also used in the video.
|Academy Award for Best Original Song||Nominated|
|Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Song||Won|
|Denver Film Critics Society Award for Best Song||Won|
|Houston Film Critics Society Award for Best Original Song||Nominated|
|Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award for Best Song||Nominated|
|Satellite Award for Best Original Song||Nominated|
|World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film||Nominated|
The song was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Original Song. However, it lost to Randy Newman's "We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3. The Academy's decision not to award Rahman for the song evoked widespread criticisms in India. Apart from public responses, several actors also commented on it. Shabana Azmi said, "A. R. Rahman truly deserved the Oscar for Best Song this year." Konkona Sen Sharma also tweeted the same opinion. Sandhya Mridul said, "A.R Rahman stands apart he deserves every win". However, Rahman himself has stated that he personally believes Newman deserved the award.
A single titled "Hours - If I Rise (vocal) Remix" was released on 4 February 2012. This is credited as performed by Katie Campbell (an artist with credits including a wide variety of cover versions of original famous and semi-popular movie songs) & Brian "Hacksaw" Williams, and notes a runtime of 3:03.
- "Best Song and Score is not cool enough for Reznor and Ross". AwardsDaily. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Supriya Nair (2011-01-07). "A score for the peaks". Livemint. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Collin Rodriguez (2011-02-27). "Mumbai choir voice of Oscar-nominated song". The Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "List". Chicago Sun-Times.
- "Rahman, Dido to shoot music video". Times of India. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Exclusive: Dido and A.R. Rahman's 'If I Rise' Video". Wall Street Journal. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Burlingame, Jon (2011-02-11). "Eye on the Oscars: Music". Variety: A3.
- "Watch the Video For AR Rahman and Dido's "If I Rise"". Artistdirect.com. 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "Florence and the Machine singer to play at Oscars". BBC. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Renuka Vyavahare (2011-02-13). "Why Dido won't perform with Rahman at Oscars". Times of India. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". Oscars.org. 2011-01-25. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- Susan King (2011-01-14). "'The Social Network' wins Critics' Choice Movie Award for best film". The Los Angeles Times.
- "Denver Film Critics Society 2011 Award Winners". Denver Film Critics Society. 2011-01-28. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Precursor: Houston Film Critics Society Nominations". Cinema Sight. 2010-12-12. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08.
- "The Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards". Awards Daily. 2010-12-17.
- "15th Satellite Awards to be held December 19, 2010 in Los Angeles". Satellite Awards. 2010-12-01. Archived from the original on November 11, 2011.
- "Rahman's 'If I Rise' nominated for WSA". Deccan Herald. 2011-08-25.
- "AR Rahman loses out on Oscars". OneIndia. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "AR Rahman with winner Randy Newman at Oscars". OneIndia. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Bollywood feels sorry for Rahman". OneIndia. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Randy Newman deserved the Oscar: Rahman". The Times of India. 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2011-03-05.
- "Amazon.com cover single". 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "iTunes cover single". 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "iTunes artist profile".