If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me
|"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me"|
1979 single cover
|Single by The Bellamy Brothers|
|from the album The Two and Only|
|B-side||"Make Me Over"|
|Genre||Country, country pop|
|The Bellamy Brothers singles chronology|
"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me" is a song written by David Bellamy, and recorded by American country music duo The Bellamy Brothers. It was released in March 1979 as the second single from the album The Two and Only. The song became their first number 1 hit on the Billboard magazine Hot Country Singles chart and their second number one overall, after their 1976 pop hit "Let Your Love Flow". The title as shown on the original single was "If I Said You Have a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me", but on the album and subsequent releases, the title is shown as "... Had ...".
"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body ..." derived its double entendre title from a Groucho Marx line. Songwriter David Bellamy told country music journalist Tom Roland that he regularly watched Marx's program, You Bet Your Life, where Marx sometimes used the quote while interviewing an attractive female contestant, then shake his cigar and raise his eyebrows to elicit a reaction. The comment stuck in Bellamy's head as a possible hook line for a song.
In a 2003 issue, Country Weekly magazine named it the number 1 country pick-up line of all time.
On their 2005 album Angels & Outlaws, Vol. 1, The Bellamy Brothers re-recorded this song with Dolly Parton. This rendition peaked at number 60 on the country charts, giving the Bellamy Brothers their first chart entry since "Not" in 1994.
Britney Spears controversy
In 2011, the Brothers criticized pop singer Britney Spears's song "Hold It Against Me" for sounding similar to "If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me". In a statement, David Bellamy said "professionally, well, in all honesty, we feel completely ripped off. Where's the originality?" The Bellamy Brothers' attorney Christopher E. Schmidt stated that "[it] becomes somewhat uncanny if you simply double the beat of the Bellamy Brothers' song and match it up with Britney's version" and pointed out that it was not the first time that songwriters Max Martin and Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald were accused of copyright infringement. On March 2, 2011, Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Bonnie McKee, and Mathieu "Billboard" Jomphe, all of whom wrote "Hold It Against Me", filed a lawsuit against the Bellamy Brothers for defamation and libel because of the accusations, but the Brothers apologized and the case was dismissed on August 11, 2011. The Brothers released a statement that said, "The Bellamy Brothers apologise to Dr. Luke and Max Martin for the Bellamys' public statements and any false impressions suggested by the statements on their website that Dr. Luke and Max Martin copy the works of others."
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||24|
|Dutch Top 40||11|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||17|
|UK Singles Chart||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||39|
"Don't Take It Away"
by Conway Twitty
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
May 19-June 2, 1979
"She Believes in Me"
by Kenny Rogers
- "The Billboard Book of Number One Country Hits" (Billboard Books, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York, 1991 (ISBN 0-82-307553-2)), p. 233-234.
- Bellamy brothers are coming ... so don't hold that song against them
- Staff, The Salt Lake Tribune (January 11, 2011). "Is Britney Spears ripping off the Bellamy Brothers with new single?". The Salt Lake Tribune. MediaNews Group. Retrieved July 9, 2011.
- Staff, The Salt Lake Tribune (February 22, 2011). "Bellamy Brothers still considering legal action against Britney Spears". The Salt Lake Tribune. MediaNews Group. Retrieved July 9, 2011.
- Christman, Ed (March 4, 2011). "Britney Spears' 'HIAM': Do Bellamy Brothers Have an Infringement Case?". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 9, 2011.
- Staff, Contactmusic (September 4, 2011). "Luke - Defamation Lawsuit Over Spears Single Dropped". Contactmusic.com. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- "The Bellamy Brothers Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "The Bellamy Brothers Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- Whitburn, Joel, "Top Country Songs: 1944-2005," 2006.
- Allmusic — If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body (Would You Hold It Against Me) by the Bellamy Brothers.