If Loving You Is Wrong
|If Loving You Is Wrong|
|Created by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||76 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Tyler Perry Studios|
|Original network||Oprah Winfrey Network|
|Original release||September 9, 2014 – present|
If Loving You Is Wrong is an American prime time television soap opera created, executive produced, written, and directed by Tyler Perry. The series focuses on the lives and relationships of a group of five husbands and wives who live on the same street (Castillo Lane) in the fictional community of Maxine. The show stars Amanda Clayton, Edwina Findley, Heather Hemmens, Zulay Henao, and April Parker Jones as the five female leads Alex, Kelly, Marcie, Esperanza and Natalie on "their quest to find love in the midst of managing very complex lives."
If Loving You Is Wrong is loosely based on Perry's 2014 film The Single Moms Club. Actress Zulay Henao reprised her movie role of Esperanza, although her character and storyline was rebooted for the TV series. It was officially ordered straight-to-series on January 9, 2014. It premiered on September 9, 2014, on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN), and the first half of the first season finale aired on November 4, 2014.
The series premiere was the highest-rated in OWN history, setting a new record over The Haves and the Have Nots. The second half of the first season aired on March 24, 2015. On February 27, 2015, the series was renewed for a second season with 22 more episodes. The second season premiered on September 22, 2015. The second half premiered on March 15, 2016. OWN renewed the series for a third season. The third season of the series premiered on September 13, 2016. The second half of season 3 premiered on March 21, 2017. On August 29, 2017, OWN announced the show's return for the fourth season, which premiered on September 19, 2017. The second half of season 4 premiered on January 10, 2018 and ended with the season finale on March 7, 2018.
Cast and characters
- Amanda Clayton as Alex Montgomery, a housewife who is married to businessman, Brad. She has two children with him, Peter and Paisley, after which he had a vasectomy. She was caught having an affair with her next door neighbor, Randall, which ends her friendship with Randall's wife Marcie and prompts Brad to leave her. She gave birth to a third child, a son, who is Randall's son, born from their affair.
- Matt Cook as Joey Blackman, Natalie's oldest son who was released from jail. Somewhat naïve in a lot of things while getting used to being out of jail, and is often hovered over by his mother with whom he works with at her place of business, Burger Fast.
- Edwina Findley as Kelly Issacs, a single and working mother to a young son named Justice. She is being pursued by a man named Travis, despite his being engaged to someone he met while in Haiti. She developed feelings for new guy nextdoor, Ramsey. But he is later found murdered in his home and Kelly is the main suspect. After awhile, Kelly is stalked unstop by Travis and later shoots him to death. While in jail, she can't come to terms with what she has done and still sees images of Travis stalking her. Lousion finds Kelly hanging in her cell.
- Tiffany Haddish as Jackie (Season 1), Natalie's loyal assistant at Burger Fast. A very business-savvy woman.
- Heather Hemmens as Marcie Holmes, a real estate agent and Randall's unhappy wife, who is angry with Alex for her affair with Randall. Gets even with both of them by embarking on a revenge affair with Brad. She demands that Randall divorce her; he refuses because he still loves her, but also loves Alex. In the third season, it is revealed that Marcie is pregnant, but with Brad's child. Although in the Season 3 finale, it is revealed that Randall may be the father of her baby.
- Zulay Henao as Esperanza Willis, ex-wife of Edward, a 911 dispatcher for the city of Maxine. Mother of a daughter named Mika with Edward. When she began dating Julius, he immediately became a target of Edward's rage and jealousy, which is later justified as he is the relative of a drug-cartel leader, which constantly places her and Mika in danger.
- April Parker Jones as Natalie Henning, a single working mother of four kids who manages a fast food place called Burger Fast. Often hovers over her oldest son, Joey. She is engaged to Lushion who is a Maxine Police Department Officer he is also the father of their son, Frank.
- Eltony Williams as Dr. Randall Holmes, Marcie's estranged husband, a psychologist. He has an affair with Alex, which destroys both his marriage to Marcie and his friendship with Brad. With the affair out in the second season premiere he is attacked by both Eddie and Brad. Later that night Brad destroys Randall's boat and comes at him with an axe and the two begin to fight as Brad pulls out a gun and shots are fired. In season three Randall gets a dose of his own medicine when he finds Marcie and Brad begin a revenge affair and having sex in his shed where he had his affair with Alex. He refuses to divorce Marcie, because he wants to have both women in his life. In the season three finale it was revealed that Randall is not the father of Alex's newborn baby boy. Due to a paternity glitch, Randall is unaware that he is still the father of Alex's baby and soon Marcie's unborn one.
- Aiden Turner as Brad Montgomery, a former Royal Marine who fought in Iraq with Alex's cousin, Eddie and later became a businessman and married Alex. Now a businessman who was unaware of his wife's affair with his friend, Randall until the second season premiere. He gets into a fight with Randall, demolishes his boat and nearly kills him. He eventually leaves Alex and he begins a revenge affair with Marcie. Brad is the father of Peter and Paisley his children with Alex, Brad had a vasectomy after Paisley's birth, which gives credence to Randall being the father of Alex's newborn son.
- Joel Rush as Edward “Eddie” Willis, Esperanza's ex, Alex's cousin and Brad's friend. A former U.S. Marine and a very corrupt police officer for the city of Maxine. He has a daughter named Mika with Esperanza. He still intends to control her life although he himself is remarried and has kids with a woman named Yolanda, who would eventually leave him as well. Later revealed that he is still in love with Esperanza, which drives him to behave the way he does, and is also a recovering cocaine addict.
- Octavio Pizano as Julius Escada Jr., Esperanza's new boyfriend, a target of the jealous Edward's rage, in this case, justifiably, as he is the relative of a Drug-Cartel leader, and Edward is concerned for the safety of Esperanza and, more importantly, his daughter, Mika.
- Charles Malik Whitfield as Lushion Morgan, Natalie's fiancé and the father of her youngest son, Frankie. He's a rookie cop with Eddie, who has a hostile working relationship with him, due to his corrupt ways. However, he still has enough loyalty to save him from a drive by shooting.
- Jay Hunter as Ian Glenn is a criminal defense attorney, partner at firm & friend of Lushion. Ian is recruited to be Kelly's attorney but hits a road block. Ian is also looking for a new home & recruits Marcie as his real estate agent & an instant attraction begins.
- Denzel Wells as Travis Cain (Seasons 1–4), Kelly's love interest, who is away on a relief mission in Haiti. Upon his return, he reveals that he got engaged to another woman while in Haiti and left Kelly. However, he has second thoughts, and ends his engagement. He then pursues Kelly anew, although she is very disinterested. During the third and fourth seasons, he becomes very angry and hostile towards Kelly. He is shot and killed by Kelly later in season 4.
- Ryan Haake as Steven Simmons is Eddie & Lushions boss and secretly and FBI agent. Steven becomes attracted to Esperanza, hence creating a volatile relationship with her child's father Eddie.
- Dawan Owens as Quan (Seasons 1–3), Joey's old running buddy who is not liked by Lushion and Natalie, and at times, Joey himself. In season 3 he is killed during a shoot-out with Joey, who was seriously injured but survives.
- Donovan Christie Jr. as Larry, An attorney who helps Marcie in her legal battles against Randall. It is revealed he was a previous college mate and friend of Randall's, in which they both share a dark secret behind close doors. They had a perverse, sexual and sadistic past as swingers. However Larry has a strong insatiable fetish for BDSM. Although it is not revealed if the two have ever been intimate with each other, but they both have made numerous innuendo remarks towards each other.
- Brianne Davis as Yolanda (Season 1), Edward's new wife who would, like Esperanza did, leave him. An alcoholic, she absolutely despises Esperanza, and the two women often quarrel. Has two children (one an unnamed older daughter) with Edward, and is Mika's stepmother.
- Claudette Ortiz as Claudia (Season 2), a new addition to the 911 emergency service who is also the half-sister of Quan.
- Jasmine Guy as Mattaline Cain (Season 1), Travis' mother who did not approve of Kelly, but later accepts her.
- Marie L. Burke (Season 1)/Judi Blair (Seasons 2–3) as Faun, daughter of Mr. Kym, owner of Burger Fast. Faun is friendly with Joey, who develops a love interest in him and works at Burger Fast with Natalie and Jackie.
- Clayton Landey as Captain Daniel Mackey (Seasons 1–2), the immediate superior of Edward and Lushion and the head of the Maxine Police Department.
- Sharon Conley as Sally (Season 1), owner of the 911 operatation station and Esperanza's supervisor
- Celine Areu as Mika Willis, the daughter of Eddie and Esperanza.
- Chase Wainscott as Peter Montgomery, the son and oldest child of Brad and Alex.
- Ashlyn Areu as Paisley Montgomery, the daughter and youngest child of Brad and Alex.
- Timmy Richardson as Justice Issacs, the son of Kelly.
- Donielle T. Hansley Jr. as Frank Morgan, the youngest son of Natalie and Lushion.
- Trevante Rhodes as Ramsey Walters (Season 2), Kelly's new neighbor, to whom she is attracted. In the third season, it is revealed that he is dead after Travis had killed him.
- Chris V. Pipkin as Pete Davis (Seasons 2−3), a rookie cop who works under Lushion and takes it upon himself to investigates Ben's shooting.
- Andrea Frye as Louise Holmes (Seasons 2–3), Randall's mother. who tries to be a peacemaker for Marcie and Randall.
- Jordan Wiseley as Ben Bryant (Season 2–3), a drug addict and rookie cop who works under Eddie.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||20||September 9, 2014||May 26, 2015|
|2||22||September 22, 2015||May 24, 2016|
|3||22||September 13, 2016||May 30, 2017|
|4||18||September 19, 2017||March 7, 2018|
- "Tyler Perry's "If Loving You Is Wrong" Returns to OWN with All-New Episodes This March" (Press release). The Futon Critic. February 25, 2016. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2014). "Tyler Perry's New Television Drama 'If Loving You is Wrong' to Premiere Tuesday September 9 on OWN". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 19, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Greg Braxton (March 17, 2014). "OWN still bets on Tyler Perry's 'Single Moms Club' after film bombs". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 9, 2014). "OWN Orders Series Based on Tyler Perry's 'Single Moms Club'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 5, 2014). "OWN Sets Cast For New Tyler Perry Drama Series 'If Loving You Is Wrong'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (June 5, 2014). "OWN Announces Cast for New Drama Series 'If Loving You is Wrong' From Tyler Perry|Shadow and Act". IndieWire. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Nededog, Jethro (June 5, 2014). "Tyler Perry's 'Single Mom's Club' Adaptation for OWN Gets New Name". TheWrap. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "OWN Wants More Tyler Perry — And Gets It". Deadline Hollywood. February 27, 2015. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "Twitter / TheBrianneDavis: Meet crazy Yolanda!!!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2014-06-21.