If Only I Could
|"If Only I Could"|
|Single by Sydney Youngblood|
|from the album Feeling Free|
|Format||7" single, CD maxi|
|Sydney Youngblood singles chronology|
"If Only I Could" is the debut single from artist Sydney Youngblood and became his biggest hit. Released as a single from his album Feeling Free in 1989, the song was composed by Claus Zundel, a producer of multi-million selling projects Sacred Spirit and B-Tribe. It is now considered Youngblood's signature song and is still popular with many of his fans. The song was a top three hit in many countries, including UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria and Germany. In the UK, it was the 11th best-selling single of 1989.
It was followed by the Top 20 UK hit "Sit and Wait".
Lyrics, music and video
The video for the single featured Youngblood bouncing around a ball that resembled the earth, while donning urban clothing and traditional African clothing.
- 7" single
- "If Only I Could" — 3:30
- "Spooky" — 3:54
- 3" CD single
- "If Only I Could" (radio edit) — 3:30
- "If Only I Could" (extended version) — 6:30
- "Spooky" — 3:54
Charts and sales
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 178 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 616. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Response from ARIA re: chart inquiry, received July 15, 2015". imgur.com. Archived from the original on July 16, 2015. Retrieved March 15, 2016. N.B. The #71 peak listed for the 1990 release of "If Only I Could" is for a triple A-side 12" release of the "I'd Rather Go Blind" single.
- "If Only I could", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved February 15, 2008)
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved February 15, 2008)
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- Austrian certifications ifpi.at (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('If+Only+I+Could')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved August 11, 2008.
- UK certifications Bpi.co.uk (Retrieved August 11, 2008)