If We Fall in Love Tonight
|If We Fall in Love Tonight|
|Compilation album by|
|Released||November 12, 1996|
|Length||67:32 (U.S. version) |
73:51 (International version)
|Producer||Arnold Stiefel (exec.)|
|Rod Stewart chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
If We Fall in Love Tonight is a ballad album released by Rod Stewart on November 12, 1996 (see 1996 in music). It includes mostly previously released songs. The album was released in both the US and UK, though the versions differ slightly. It was released by Warner Bros. Records, and produced the singles "If We Fall in Love Tonight" and "When I Need You".
The title track, If We Fall in Love Tonight, written for this album, had some legal wrangles regarding its copyright and track title which have now been resolved. The album includes three newly recorded cover versions of hit songs: "Sometimes When We Touch," originally sang by Dan Hill; "When I Need You," originally sang by Leo Sayer; and "For the First Time," originally sang by Kenny Loggins. Two other songs had not been previously released on a Rod Stewart album: "So Far Away", originally by Carole King, which had been released as a single in 1995 from that year's Carole King tribute album, Tapestry Revisited, and "All for Love," sang with Bryan Adams and Sting, from the 1993 film soundtrack The Three Musketeers. Additionally, two songs were revamped for If We Fall in Love Tonight: "Have I Told You Lately", originally by Van Morrison and initially released on Stewart's Vagabond Heart, was remixed here; and "Forever Young", initially on Stewart's Out of Order, which was completely re-recorded. The remaining tracks were all previously released on various Rod Stewart albums.
|1996||"If We Fall in Love Tonight"||54(US) 54(UK) 70(GER)|
|1996||"When I Need You"||DID NOT CHART|
|1.||"If We Fall in Love Tonight" (new original song; previously unreleased)||Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis||Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis||5:39|
|2.||"For the First Time" (new cover song; previously unreleased)||Jud Friedman, Allan Rich, James Newton||Howard||4:01|
|3.||"When I Need You" (new cover song; previously unreleased)||Carole Bayer Sager, Albert Hammond||Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis||4:50|
|4.||"So Far Away" (previously released on the Carole King tribute album, Tapestry Revisited)||Carole King||David Foster||4:20|
|5.||"Have I Told You Lately" (studio version remix) (new remixed version; previously unreleased)||Van Morrison||Rod Stewart, Bernard Edwards, Steve MacMillan[a]||3:58|
|6.||"My Heart Can't Tell You No" (previously released on Stewart's Out of Order)||Simon Climie, Dennis Morgan||Stewart, Edwards, Andy Taylor||5:16|
|7.||"You're in My Heart" (previously released on Stewart's Foot Loose & Fancy Free)||Stewart||Tom Dowd||4:28|
|8.||"The First Cut Is the Deepest" (previously released on Stewart's A Night on the Town)||Cat Stevens||Dowd||3:50|
|9.||"I Don't Want to Talk About It" (original version on Stewart's Atlantic Crossing; this version taken from Stewart's Storyteller – The Complete Anthology: 1964–1990)||Danny Whitten||Dowd||4:50|
|10.||"Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)"" (previously released on Stewart's A Night on the Town)||Stewart||Dowd||3:33|
|11.||"Sometimes When We Touch" (new cover song; previously unreleased)||Barry Mann, Dan Hill||Howard||4:24|
|12.||"Downtown Train" (previously released on Stewart's Storyteller – The Complete Anthology: 1964–1990)||Tom Waits||Trevor Horn||4:40|
|13.||"Broken Arrow" (previously released on Stewart's Vagabond Heart) (Robbie Robertson)||Robbie Robertson||Patrick Leonard, Lenny Waronker[b]||4:21|
|14.||"Forever Young" (1996) (new re-recorded version; previously unreleased)||Stewart, Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar||Savigar||4:52|
|15.||"All for Love" (with Bryan Adams & Sting, previously released on The Three Musketeers Soundtrack) (Bryan Adams, Robert Lange, Michael Kamen)||4:41|
- "If We Fall in Love Tonight" – 5:39
- "For the First Time" – 4:01
- "When I Need You" – 4:50
- "Sometimes When We Touch" – 4:20
- "Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)" – 3:33
- "I Don't Want to Talk About It (1989)" – 4:50
- "Have I Told You Lately (Studio Remix Version)" – 3:58
- "Broken Arrow" – 4:21
- "Forever Young (1996)" – 4:52
- "You're in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)" – 4:28
- "My Heart Can't Tell You No" – 5:16
- "The First Cut Is the Deepest" – 3:50
- "Sailing" – 4:38
- "Downtown Train" – 4:40
- “Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda)” (previously released on Stewart's Lead Vocalist) – 6:10
- “All for Love” (with Bryan Adams & Sting) – 4:41
- ^a signifies a remixer
- ^b signifies a co-producer
- The Japanese release replaces track 8, "Broken Arrow", with "Your Song," from the Elton John tribute album Two Rooms. The remaining track list is otherwise identical. On some releases, "Sailing" is replaced by "This."
- Mastered by Doug Sax
- Compilation and Mastering Advisor: Bill Schnee
- Photography: Ken Schles and Randee St. Nicholas
- Art Direction and Design: Stephen Walker
- Management: Arnold Stiefel and Annie Challis
- "If We Fall in Love Tonight" and "When I Need You" produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
- "For the First Time" and "Sometimes When We Touch" produced by James Newton-Howard
- "So Far Away" produced by David Foster
- "Have I Told You Lately" produced by Rod Stewart & Bernard Edwards; Remixed by Steve MacMillan
- "Forever Young" produced by Kevin Savigar
- "All for Love" produced by Chris Thomas, Bryan Adams, and David Nicholas
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||25,000*|
|Hong Kong (IFPI Hong Kong)||Platinum||20,000*|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Gold||25,000*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- AllMusic review
- "Rolling Stone Album Guide". Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Discos de oro y platino" (in Spanish). Cámara Argentina de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "Austrian album certifications – Rod Stewart – If We Fall in Love Tonight" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "IFPIHK Gold Disc Award − 1997". IFPI Hong Kong. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "IFPI Norsk platebransje Trofeer 1993–2011" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "British album certifications – Rod Stewart – If We Fall in Love Tonight". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2 October 2019. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type If We Fall in Love Tonight in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Rod Stewart – If We Fall in Love Tonight". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2 October 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- If We Fall in Love Tonight album liner notes. Warner Bros. Records.
- "Rod Stewart: The classic voice of Rock 'n' Roll". Warner Bros. Records. Archived from the original on 10 June 2007. Retrieved 25 June 2007.