If We Hold on Together
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"If We Hold on Together"|
|Single by Diana Ross|
|from the album The Land Before Time Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and The Force Behind the Power|
|B-side||"If We Hold on Together (Instrumental)"|
|Released||November 5, 1988|
|Genre||R&B, pop, soul|
|Diana Ross singles chronology|
"If We Hold on Together" is the theme song to the 1988 film The Land Before Time, and is performed by Diana Ross. Played during the film's ending credits, it was released on the film's soundtrack as well as the Ross album The Force Behind the Power. The song was written by James Horner and Will Jennings. Released as a single it reached the top 30 on the US adult contemporary chart, as well as giving Ross her biggest hit ever in Japan (No. 1) and later reaching No. 11 in the UK.
"If We Hold on Together" was covered by Anndi McAfee and Aria Curzon, the voices of Cera and Ducky in The Land Before Time series since the fifth film, for The Land Before Time: Sing-Along Songs in 1997. The song was also covered by multi-Na Hoku Hanohano award-winning Hawaiian music artist Keali'i Reichel on his 1995 debut album Kawaipunahele.
Peter Fawthrop from AllMusic described the song as "a soaring, splendid ballad", noting that it "is somewhat Biblical in its message, "Valley mountain, there is a fountain that washes our tears all away."" Bustle preferred it to "My Heart Will Go On", writing "It's shamelessly sappy, but it perfectly suits the dinosaur tearjerker it appears in." Rotoscopers said it was the "cherry on top to this great musical score from James Horner." The site also said it "brings forth the same endearing qualities as "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail." Music & Media wrote, "Ross is the boss when it comes to romantic ballads. This one will have to share the air with all those flying angels during the Christmas period."
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Diana Ross – vocals
- Lee Sklar – bass
- Russ Kunkel – drums
- Waddy Wachtel – guitar
- Guy Moon, Randy Kerber – keyboards
- Kate Markowitz, Valerie Carter – backing vocals
- Michael Fisher – percussion
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||35|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||36|
|UK Singles (OCC)||11|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||23|
- "James Horner – The Land Before Time [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]". AllMusic. Retrieved November 8, 2020.
- Cusumano, Katherine (July 28, 2015). "Who Is James Horner? The 'Southpaw' Composer Is Responsible For 7 Other Iconic Scores From 'Aliens' To 'Titanic'". Bustle.
- "A Musical-Countdown Tribute to James Horner". Rotoscopers. July 2, 2015.
- "Remembering James Horner". Rotoscopers. July 8, 2015.
- "'Prince of Egypt' anniversary: The 10 best animated (non-Disney) songs". Entertainment Weekly. December 18, 2013.
- "New Releases: Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. December 5, 1992. p. 10. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – If We Hold on Together". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Diana Ross" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Diana Ross – If We Hold on Together" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Diana Ross: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Diana Ross Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.