If You're Feeling Sinister
|If You're Feeling Sinister|
|Studio album by Belle & Sebastian|
|Released||18 November 1996|
|Recorded||Ca Va Studios, Glasgow|
|Genre||Indie pop, chamber pop, indie folk|
Matador Records (re-issue)
|Belle & Sebastian chronology|
|Robert Christgau||A− link|
If You're Feeling Sinister is the second album by Scottish pop group Belle & Sebastian, released on the independent label Jeepster Records in the United Kingdom and Matador Records in the United States. The album was released to much critical praise in 1996.
Band leader Stuart Murdoch has stated in interviews that this is probably his best collection of songs. In 2005, Belle & Sebastian released a live version of the album entitled If You're Feeling Sinister: Live at the Barbican on the iTunes Music Store.
If You're Feeling Sinister has received widespread critical acclaim. Pitchfork Media placed the album at number 14 in its top 100 albums of the 1990s. Later, the readers of Pitchfork named the album as the 31st greatest album since the website launched in 1996. Rolling Stone featured the album at number 75 on its list of "100 Best Albums of the Nineties," while Spin included the record at number 59 on its "125 Best Albums of the Past 25 Years" list. If You're Feeling Sinister also appears as an entry in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die as chosen by music critics.
In 2007, as part of the 33⅓ series, Scott Plagenhoef wrote a book about the album.
In February 2013, Pitchfork.tv released an hour-long documentary on the album directed by RJ Bentler. For the documentary, every member that was present on the album was interviewed and featured several archival photos and videos from the band's early days.
All songs written and composed by Stuart Murdoch.
|1.||"The Stars of Track and Field"||4:48|
|2.||"Seeing Other People"||3:48|
|3.||"Me and the Major"||3:51|
|4.||"Like Dylan in the Movies"||4:14|
|5.||"The Fox in the Snow"||4:11|
|6.||"Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying"||3:25|
|7.||"If You're Feeling Sinister"||5:21|
|9.||"The Boy Done Wrong Again"||4:17|
|10.||"Judy and the Dream of Horses"||3:40|
- Stuart Murdoch – vocals, guitar, piano
- Stuart David – bass
- Isobel Campbell – cello, vocals, percussion, recorder
- Chris Geddes – keyboards, piano
- Richard Colburn – drums
- Stevie Jackson – guitar, vocals, harmonica
- Sarah Martin – violin, recorder, percussion
- Mick Cooke – trumpet on tracks 1, 6, 10
- "Top 100 Albums of the 1990s". Pitchfork Media.
- "75: Belle and Sebastian, 'If You're Feeling Sinister'". Rolling Stone.
- "59: 125 Best Albums of the Past 25 Years". Spin.
- Pitchfork (2013-02-18). "Pitchfork.tv Presents a Documentary Film on Belle and Sebastian's If You're Feeling Sinister". Pitchforkmedia.com. Retrieved 2013-02-19.