If You Go Away (New Kids on the Block song)
|"If You Go Away"|
|Single by NKOTB|
|from the album Face the Music|
|Released||December 14, 1991|
|Genre||R&B, pop, soul|
|Writer(s)||John Bettis, Trey Lorenz, Walter Afanasieff|
|NKOTB singles chronology|
"If You Go Away" is a song by pop group New Kids on the Block (although the group was credited under the moniker of NKOTB on the jacket.) Released as a stand-alone single on December 14, 1991, the only new song on the compilation H.I.T.S. ; it was later included on their 1994 album Face the Music. Written by John Bettis, Trey Lorenz and Walter Afanasieff, the latter of whom also served as the songs producer. Lead vocals are shared by Jordan Knight and Joey McIntyre, with a spoken word by Danny Wood. It was, at that point, the first song the group put out after having split with longtime manager and producer Maurice Starr.
The song returned the group to the US top twenty, peaking at number sixteen on the Billboard Hot 100 and number nine on the UK Singles Chart, and was a commercial rebound for the group after having seen its three previous songs all fail to reach the top forty. The group performed the song on The Arsenio Hall Show, while addressing an alleged lip-synching controversy. The single was the group's last hit until the release of the top 40 hit "Summertime" in 2008, and to date remains its final top twenty entry.
- Jordan Knight, Joey McIntyre: lead vocals
- Danny Wood: spoken voice
- John Bettis, Trey Lorenz: songwriters
- Walter Afanasieff: songwriter, producer, arranger, keyboards, Mini Moog bass, drum programming, percussion, Synclavier acoustic guitar
- Dan Shea: additional synthesizer and MacIntosh programming
- Ren Klyce: Akai AX60 and Synclavier programming
- Michael Landau: guitar
- New Kids on the Block, Claytoven Richardson, Gary Cirimelli, Skyler Jett: background vocals
UK Vinyl, 7" 
- If You Go Away – 4:00
- Call It What You Want [C&C Pump It Up 7" Mix] – 4:12
- If You Go Away – 4:00
- Didn't I (Blow Your Mind) – 4:24
- Please Don't Go Girl – 4:30
- I'll Be Loving You (Forever) – 4:22
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||25|
|Canadian Singles Chart||6|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||34|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||10|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||9|
|US Billboard Hot 100||16|
- "Australian-charts.com – New Kids on the Block – If You Go Away". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Ultratop.be – New Kids on the Block – If You Go Away" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – New Kids on the Block – Step by Step". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Step by Step". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – New Kids on the Block – If You Go Away" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – New Kids on the Block – If You Go Away". VG-lista. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Swedishcharts.com – New Kids on the Block – If You Go Away". Singles Top 100. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Archive Chart: 1991-12-14" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "New Kids on the Block – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for New Kids on the Block. Retrieved March 6, 2016.