If You Have Ghost
|If You Have Ghost|
|EP by Ghost|
|Released||November 20, 2013|
|Recorded||2012–2013, Studio 606, Northridge, CA|
If You Have Ghost is the first EP by the Swedish heavy metal band Ghost. It was produced by Dave Grohl and released on November 20, 2013 by Republic Records. Four of the five tracks are covers of other acts; "I'm a Marionette" and "Waiting for the Night" were originally released on various editions of Ghost's second album, Infestissumam, while the two others were newly recorded. The fifth is a live recording of Ghost's own "Secular Haze" from the band's July 28, 2013 performance at Music Hall of Williamsburg in New York City.
Ghost's collaboration with Dave Grohl of Nirvana and Foo Fighters happened when, before going to Nashville to record Infestissumam, the band had a bunch of covers demoed and were discussing if they should squeeze them onto the album. " ... we were at a festival in Europe and Foo Fighters was playing, and we knew that Dave was a fan, and [when we talked to him] after a few handshakes and a few laughs, we were like 'Okay, so you liked the band? So do you want to do something?' And he said yeah, and one month later we were in [his studio in] L.A. doing that".
The cover of "I'm a Marionette" was first released in late 2012 as the B-side to Ghost's "Secular Haze" single. In late 2013, all of the tracks from If You Have Ghost were included in a special edition of Infestissumam, called Infestissumam Redux.
|Consequence of Sound|||
|Iowa State Daily||(4/5)|
|New Noise Magazine|||
At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the EP received an average score of 57, which indicates "mixed or average reviews", based on seven reviews. A member of Ghost revealed that Benny Andersson and/or Björn Ulvaeus from ABBA have heard their cover of "I'm a Marionette" and "loved it!"
|1.||"If You Have Ghosts" (Roky Erickson cover)||Roky Erickson||3:32|
|2.||"I'm a Marionette" (ABBA cover)||Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus||4:50|
|3.||"Crucified" (Army of Lovers cover)||Alexander Bard, Anders Wollbeck, Jean-Pierre Barda||5:13|
|4.||"Waiting for the Night" (Depeche Mode cover)||Martin Gore||5:38|
|5.||"Secular Haze [Live]" (Recorded live at Music Hall of Williamsburg)||A Ghoul Writer||5:28|
- Papa Emeritus II
- A Group of Nameless Ghouls
- Dave Grohl – production, rhythm guitar on "If You Have Ghosts", drums and percussion on "I'm a Marionette" and "Waiting for the Night"
- Derek Silverman – organ on "If You Have Ghosts" and "Waiting for the Night", piano on "Crucified"
- Jessy Greene – violin and cello on "If You Have Ghosts"
- James Brown – recording, mixing on "Waiting for the Night"
- John Lousteau – assistant engineering
- Rich Costy – mixing
- Jeff Curtain – recording and mixing on "Secular Haze (Live)"
- Ted Jensen – mastering
- Mattias Frisk – graphic design
|UK UK Albums Chart||172|
|UK Rock & Metal Albums||11|
|US Billboard 200||87|
|US Billboard Hard Rock||7|
|US Billboard Top Rock||24|
- "Show No Mercy: Ghost B.C." Pitchfork Media. 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "A Nameless Ghoul from Ghost B.C. on Papa Emeritus II being too evil for the Vatican". westword.com. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "GHOST: Studio Version Of 'I'm A Marionette' Available On SPOTIFY". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- Rob Galluzzo (16 November 2016). "The Band GHOST's Many Horror Homages". Blumhouse. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- "Metacritic - Ghost B.C.: If You Have Ghost". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- Tyons, Lodd. "Ghost B.C. - If You Have Ghost Review". About.com. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Monger, James. "If You Have Ghost - Ghost B.C." AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- Kivel, Adam (2013-11-25). "Album Review: Ghost B.C. – If You Have Ghost EP". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- Welshhons, Celeste (2 December 2013). "Album Review: Ghost B.C.'s 'If You Have Ghost'". Iowa State Daily. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- DiVita, Joe (2013-11-19). "Ghost B.C., 'If You Have Ghost' EP – Review". Loudwire. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- "Album Review: Ghost – "If You Have Ghost EP"". New Noise Magazine. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Gillis, Carla. "Ghost B.C. If You Have Ghost". Now. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- Rogers, Jack (9 December 2013). "Ghost B.C. - If You Have Ghost". Rock Sound. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Fricke, David (2013-11-18). "Ghost B.C.: 'If You Have Ghost' Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- "Getting to know Ghost: The Swedish ghouls answer your questions". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "GHOST's 'If You Have Ghost' EP Cracks U.S. Top 100". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- CHART: CLUK Update 30.11.2013 (wk47) (in German). zobbel.de. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- 2013 Top 40 Rock & Metal Albums Archive: 30th November 2013. officialcharts.com. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "If You Have Ghost - Ghost B.C. Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Liner notes