If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)
|"If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)"|
|Single by Joe Diffie|
|from the album A Thousand Winding Roads|
|B-side||"I Ain't Leavin' 'Til She's Gone"|
|Released||April 2, 1991|
|Songwriter(s)||Ken Spooner, Kim Williams|
|Producer(s)||Bob Montgomery, Johnny Slate|
|Joe Diffie singles chronology|
"If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)" is a song written by Ken Spooner and Kim Williams, and recorded by American country music singer Joe Diffie. The song reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart. It was released in April 1991 as the third single from his debut album, A Thousand Winding Roads.
The music video was directed by Michael Salomon and premiered in early 1991.
Cashbox magazine published a positive review of the song, stating that it "focuses on a much lighter storyline, compared to previous releases. This cut humorously sheds a 'devil-made-me-do-it' theme swallowed up by a fun and bouncy tempo."
The song debuted at number 47 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart dated April 6, 1991. It charted for 20 weeks on that chart, and peaked at number 1 on the country chart dated June 15, 1991, giving Diffie his second Number One single.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||4|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||64|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||22|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "Single releases" (PDF). Cashbox: 29. March 30, 1991.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 1562." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. July 6, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Joe Diffie Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1991". RPM. December 21, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Best of 1991: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
|This 1991 country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|