Iffley Road rugby football ground
|Former names||The New Football Ground|
|Location||Iffley Road, Oxford, England|
Iffley Road rugby football ground is a playing-field in Oxford, England. It is the home of Oxford University Rugby Football Club and until 2016 was the home of semi-professional Oxford Rugby League. It is close to the Iffley Road Track (now known as the Roger Bannister running track).
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Oxford Union RFC bought the field from Christ Church in the 1890s for £1,000. It was called the New Football Ground, and the cricket pavilion continued to be used by the new owners. Oxford University A.F.C. shared the facilities until they moved to a neighbouring field in 1921.
Oxford Rugby League played their first game at Iffley Road in 2013.
Iffley Road is the home ground of the Oxford University Rugby Football Club. Many matches against international teams have been played at Iffley Road. Oxford University has played there against South Africa six times (1906, 1912, 1931, 1951, 1960 and 1969), New Zealand 5 times (1905, 1924, 1935, 1953 and 1963) and Australia 8 times (1908, 1927, 1947, 1957, 1966, 1975, 1981 and 2001). In 2013 and 2014, the University played Russia.
Rugby league was first played at Iffley Road in 2008 when the University of Oxford played Oxford Brookes.
The draw for the 3rd round of the 2013 Challenge Cup was made in the Rugby Pavilion at Iffley Road by actor Kevin Whately and Bruce Ray, the communications director of Carlsberg UK, the owners of cup sponsors Tetley.
- Lowe, Edward (2013-01-19). "New rugby league side arrives at Iffley". Cherwell. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- Mezzetti, Ed (2012-11-22). "RUGBY UNION: Maori All Blacks face Canada". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Mezzetti, Ed (2013-04-11). "RUGBY UNION: Pearson's England call". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "Rugby league: Oxford to be admitted to Championship One". BBC Sport. BBC. 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Mezzetti, Ed (2013-03-14). "RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford handed Halifax tie". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford new ground confirmed". Oxford Rugby League. 2016-01-20. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
|This article about an English sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|