|Born||Iftikhar Hussain Arif
21 March 1943
Lucknow, United Provinces of Agra and Oudh, British India
|Notable works||Mehr-i-Doneem, Harf-i-Baryab, Jahan-e-Maloom, Kitab-i-Dil-o-Dunya|
|Notable awards||Faiz International Award 1988
Baba-e-Urdu Award 1995
Naqoosh Award 1994
Pride of Performance1990
Iftikhar Hussain Arif (born 21 March 1943) (Urdu: افتخار حسین عارف), commonly known as Iftikhar Arif, is an Urdu poet, scholar and littérateur from Pakistan. His style is romantic Urdu poetry. He has headed the Pakistan Academy of Letters and the National Language Authority. He has received the Hilal-e-Imtiaz, Sitara-e-Imtiaz and Presidential Pride of Performance awards, which are the highest literary awards given by the Government of Pakistan.
He studied Urdu, English and Sanskrit - where he did his M.A. in 1965 - at the Lucknow university, then studied journalism at New York University, before migrating to Pakistan and working for Radio Pakistan.
Works and achievements
Oxford University Press has published an anthology of Arif’s translated poetry under the title, Written in the Season of Fear. The introduction was written by Harris Khalique, a poet who writes in English, Urdu and Punjabi.
- Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Crescent of Excellence) Award by the President of Pakistan (2005)
- Sitara-e-Imtiaz (Star of Excellence) Award by the President of Pakistan (1999)
- Pride of Performance (literature 1990) by the President of Pakistan
- Baba-e-Urdu Maulvi Abdul Haq Award, (poetry, 1995)
- Naqoosh Award (1994)
- Faiz International Award for Poetry from the Aalami Urdu Conference
Books and publications
- Mehr-i-Doneem (1983)
- Harf-i-Baryab (1994)
- Shehr-e-Ilm ke derwazay per (2006)
- Written in the Season of Fear (English translation)
- The Twelfth Man (translation of Barhwan Khilari by Brenda Walker, 1989)
- Kitab-e-Dil-o-Dunya (2009)
- Modern Poetry of Pakistan  (2011, editor)
- http://www.poemhunter.com/iftikhar-arif/biography/, Biography and awards info for Iftikhar Arif on poemhunter.com website, Retrieved 4 June 2016
- http://www.pal.gov.pk/?s=Iftikhar+Arif+, Iftikhar Arif, Chairman, Pakistan Academy of Letters in 1993, Retrieved 3 June 2016
- "Cultural Pursuits: Urdu poet laments the decline of the language". Express Tribune newspaper, Published 23 Dec 2012, Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Page:358 Jawaz-E-Iftikhar by Sheema Majeed, ISBN 969-530-131-2
- Rauf Parekh (6 December 2016). "Literary Notes: Persian translation of Iftikhar Arif's poetry: beautiful and faithful". Dawn News. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- The twelfth man: selected poems of Iftikhar Arif. Forest. 1989. p. 69. Retrieved 4 June 2016., Iftikhar Arif on GoogleBooks
- Arif, Iftikhar (1994). HARF E BARYAB. Maktab-E-Danyal. p. 132. ISBN 969-419-016-9.
- Arif, Iftikhar (2003). Written in the season of fear. Oxford University Press, Karachi Pakistan. p. 75. ISBN 978-0-19-579798-5.
- Google books, Modern Poetry of Pakistan written by Iftikhar Arif, a book review on GoogleBooks website, Retrieved 3 June 2016
- Iftikhar Arif expressing his views on today's poetry. and then reciting some of his poetry. 29/04/2011
- author page at Lyrikline.org, with audio and text in Urdu, and translations into German.