||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (October 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|Born||Iftikhar Hussain Arif
21 March 1943
Lucknow, United Provinces of Agra and Oudh, British India
|Notable works||Mehr-i-Doneem, Harf-i-Baryab, Jahan-e-Maloom, Kitab-i-Dil-o-Dunya|
|Notable awards||Faiz International Award 1988
Baba-e-Urdu Award 1995
Naqoosh Award 1994
Pride of Performance1989
Iftikhar Hussain Arif (Urdu: افتخار حسین عارف) commonly known as Iftikhar Arif (ur) (born 21 March 1943 in Lucknow) is an Urdu poet, scholar and littérateur from Pakistan. His style is romantic Urdu poetry. He has headed Academy Adbiyat (the Pakistan Academy of Letters) and Muqtadra Quami Zaban (the National Language Authority). He has been decorated with Hilal-e-Imtiaz, Sitara-e-Imtiaz and Presidential Pride of Performance, which are the highest literary awards given by the Government of Pakistan.
Works and achievements
Oxford University Press has published an anthology of Arif’s translated poetry under the title, Written in the Season of Fear. The introduction was written by Harris Khalique, a poet in English, Urdu and Punjabi. 
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2012)|
- Hilal-i-Imtiaz (2005)
- Sitara-e-Imtiaz (1999)
- Pride of Performance (literature 1990)
- Baba-e-Urdu Maulvi Abdul Haq Award, (poetry, 1995)
- Naqoosh Award (1994)
- Faiz International Award for Poetry by the Aalami Urdu Conference
Postgraduate theses on Arif include:
- "Iftikhar Arif: Fun Aur Shakhsiyat", by Nargis Gul Malik from Karachi University
- "Iftikhar Arif ki Shaeri ka Funni Wa Fikri Tajzia" by Liaqat Ali of Bahauddin Zakariya University
- "Iftikhar Arif Bahaesiyat Shaer" by Ayza Qureshi of Islamia University in Bahawalpur
Books and publications
- Mehr-i-Doneem (1983)
- Harf-i-Baryab (1994)
- Shehr-e-Ilm ke derwazay per (2006)
- Written in the Season of Fear (English translation)
- The Twelfth Man (translation of Barhwan Khilari by Brenda Walker, 1989)
- Kitab-e-Dil-o-Dunya (2009)
- Modern Poetry of Pakistan  (2011, editor)
- Engro excellence awards
- Iftikhar Arif at Pakistan Academy of Letters
- "Cultural Pursuits: Urdu poet laments the decline of the language". Express Tribune.
- Page:358 Jawaz-E-Iftikhar by Sheema Majeed, ISBN 969-530-131-2
- The twelfth man: selected poems of Iftikhar Arif. Forest. 1989. p. 69. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- Arif, Iftikhar (1994). HARF E BARYAB. Maktab-E-Danyal. p. 132. ISBN 969-419-016-9.
- Arif, Iftikhar (2003). Written in the season of fear. Oxford University Press, Karachi Pakistan. p. 75. ISBN 978-0-19-579798-5.
- Pakistan Academy of Letters
- Google books
- Iftikhar Arif expressing his views on today's poetry. and then reciting some of his poetry. 29/04/2011
- author page at Lyrikline.org, with audio and text in Urdu, and translations into German.
- Official website of National Language Authority
- Official website of Pakistan Academy of Letters