|Headquarters||Bugallal Marchesi, 22, 1º A Coruña - Galicia|
|Products||WebKitGTK, WPE, GStreamer, GNOME Web (also known as Epiphany), Orca (assistive technology)|
|Services||Open source consultancy and engineering|
Number of employees
Igalia is a private, worker-owned, employee-run cooperative model consultancy focused on open source software. Based in A Coruña, Galicia (Spain), Igalia is known for its contributions and commitments to both open-source and open standards. Igalia's primary focus is on open source solutions for a large set of hardware and software platforms centering on browsers, graphics, multimedia, compilers, virtualization, embedded Linux, and device drivers.
Igalia is the current core maintainer of several projects, including:
- Two official WebKit ports
- GNOME Web (also known as Epiphany), the GNOME web browser
- Orca, a screen reader that provides access to the graphical Linux desktop via user-customizable combinations of speech and braille.
- Wolvic, a web browser built for extended reality.
Igalia is a major contributor to each of the major Web engines (Blink, Gecko/Servo and WebKit). In 2019 they were the #2 committers to both the WebKit and Chromium codebases and in the top 10 contributors to Gecko/Servo. Igalia has helped the interoperability of some features across web engines; they implemented CSS Grid Layout in WebKit and Blink. They are maintainers for several areas of the Chromium codebase, such as CSS Grid Layout, MathML, Ozone-Wayland and MathML in Chromium.
Past projects and historical involvement
Igalia was previously significantly involved in:
- Maemo and MeeGo. Igalia developers authored Grilo (a framework for the access to multimedia sources like YouTube, Flickr, Jamendo, and others), and managed LibrePlan (a project management web application), OCRFeeder (an OCR suite for GNOME) and Skeltrack (a Free Software library for skeleton tracking from depth images).
Igalia maintains active memberships and participation in a number of foundations and standards consortia:
- Linux Foundation, including the Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) and Servo projects.
- A founder of the GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initiative.
- The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) — Igalia is a member since 2013.
- The Khronos Group.
- ECMA International — Igalia is a member since 2018 where they participate in TC39.
- GENIVI® Alliance.
- The Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC).
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).
- Past member of the GNOME Foundation Advisory Board.
- "Igalia 24/7". Igalia. Retrieved 2019-09-04.
- "About Us". Igalia. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Technologies". Igalia. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "WPE: WebKit port optimized for embedded devices". The WPE WebKit Team. Retrieved 2021-06-28.
- "The WebKitGTK Project". The WebKitGTK Team. Retrieved 2021-06-28.
- Igalia (2022-07-08). "Wolvic 1.0". Igalia. Retrieved 2022-12-19.
- Andrew, Rachel (2020-07-13). "Crowdfunding Web Platform Features With Open Prioritization". Smashing Magazine. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- Kardell, Brian (2019-08-16). "2019, That's a Wrap". Betterifying the Web. Personal blog of Brian Kardell. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- Andrew, Rachel (2016). Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout. A Book Apart. p. 48. ISBN 978-1-9375572-7-0.
- Gustafson, Aaron (2017-10-19). "The Story of CSS Grid, from Its Creators". A List Apart. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- Wang, Frédéric (July 2020). "Update on the MathML in Chromium project". National Information Standards Organization (NISO). Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- Paul, Ryan (2012-03-22). "Igalia releases open source Kinect skeleton tracking library". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Igalia Joins Linux Foundation" (Press release). The Linux Foundation. 2011-04-19. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Members - Automotive Grade Linux". Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Servo web rendering engine joins Linux Foundation Europe". Linux Foundation Europe. 2023-09-07. Retrieved 2023-09-07.
- "The GNOME Foundation and Industry Leaders Join to Create GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initiative" (Press release). The Gnome Foundation. 2007-04-19. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Current Members & Testimonials".
- "Current Members & Testimonials".
- "The Khronos Group". 31 December 2021.
- "Ecma International welcomes the following new members" (Press release). ECMA International. 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- "GENIVI Members | GENIVI Alliance".
- "Conservancy's Sponsors & Supporters". Software Freedom Conservancy. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Thanks". Electronic Frontier Foundation. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Socios arquivo - Páxina 2 de 3".
- Jeff Waugh (2007-06-14). "Free software engineering company Igalia announces today that it has joined GNOME Foundation's advisory board" (Press release). The GNOME Foundation. Retrieved 2011-06-04.