Igatpuri railway station
|Location||Igatpuri, Dist.Nashik PIN-422403|
|Elevation||599.400 metres (1,966.54 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Central Railway|
|Line(s)||Bhusawal-Kalyan section of Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line, Howrah-Allahabad-Mumbai line|
|Structure type||Standard, on ground|
|Previous names||Great Indian Peninsula Railway|
It is a loco change-over point for trains moving out of Mumbai as well as trains entering Mumbai. The trains moving out of Mumbai usually change their locomotives to WAP 4 or WAP 7 or WAM 4 as the case may be. The trains entering Mumbai usually change their locomotives to WCAM-3. The station is famous for its Wada Pav and Idli.
The first train in India travelled from Mumbai to Thane on 16 April 1853. By May, 1854, Great Indian Peninsula Railway's Mumbai-Thane line was extended to Kalyan. Bhusawal was set up in 1860, but the service started in the mid-1860s. Service up to Igatpuri was started in 1865.
The Kalyan-Igatpuri section was electrified with 1.5 kV DC overhead system in 1929. Subsequent electrification with 25 kV AC overhead system in the Igatpuri-Manmad sector, with AC/DC change over at Igatpuri, was carried out in 1967-69. The change over of the Mumbai area from DC to AC is complete and AC/DC locomotives are converted to pure AC locomotives.
130 trains (excluding Summer Special Trains) pass through Igatpuri (which also includes weeklies and biweeklies, etc.)
Electric trip sheds
Igatpuri has electric trip sheds, with separate sheds for AC locos.
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Allahabad Duronto Express at Igatpuri railway station
Sewagram Express halted at Igatpuri railway station
Geetanjali Express halted at Igatpuri railway station
- Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1832 - 1865). "IR History: Early Days – I". IFCA. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "Historical Milestones". Central Railway. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Electric Traction I". History of Electrification. IRFCA. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Igatpuri Departures at IndiaRailInfo". IRI. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Sheds and Workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 April 2013.