Birds Eye (UK and Ireland)
Iglo Group is a frozen food company based in the United Kingdom, with operations across the European continent. The company markets its products under the brand names Iglo, Birds Eye and Findus. Iglo owns the rights to the Birds Eye brand in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and the rights to the Findus brand in Italy.
Formerly owned by private equity firm Permira, the company was sold to investment firm Nomad Foods in June 2015, valuing the group at €2.6bn (£1.9bn). Nomad purchased the operations of Findus in all markets except the United Kingdom in November 2015, and is due to merge Iglo and Findus in early 2016 to form Nomad Foods Europe.
In November 2006, private equity fund Permira acquired the BirdsEye and Iglo businesses from Unilever for €1.7bn, forming the BirdsEye Iglo Group. In 2010 BirdsEye Iglo Group purchased the Italian frozen food business Compagnia Surgelati Italiana SPA from Unilever for €0.8bn, and reunited the Findus brand in Italy into the group that had previously been managed as one business under Unilever until 2006. On 24 June 2011 BirdsEye Iglo Group changed its legal name to Iglo Foods Group Limited, and now trades under the name Iglo Group.
Blackstone Group and BC Partners made an unsuccessful bid of €2.5bn to buy Iglo from Permira in 2012. In April 2015 Permira agreed a majority sale to United States-based investment vehicle Nomad Holdings, valuing the group at €2.6bn (£1.9bn).
Iglo Group produces and markets premium branded frozen food products in 11 countries, and distributes across a number of other countries in Central and Eastern Europe. In both the United Kingdom and Ireland, Iglo is known as Birds Eye, and in Italy it is known as Findus.
Following the purchase of Findus by Iglo's parent Nomad Foods, the Findus brand is due to be brought back under the same ownership across Europe.
- "Birds Eye owner, Iglo Group, sold to American firm". BBC News. 20 April 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "Nomad Foods Limited Completes Acquisition of Findus Group's Continental European Businesses". PR Newswire. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "About us". Iglo Group. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Private equity deals: June 20, 2012
- Bradshaw, Julia (13 August 2015). "Birdseye owner Nomad to create frozen food giant with $781m Findus deal". The Telegraph. Retrieved 9 February 2016.