|Governor of the Bank of Italy|
1 November 2011
|Preceded by||Mario Draghi|
|Deputy Director General of the Bank of Italy|
9 January 2007 – 1 November 2011
|Preceded by||Pierluigi Ciocca|
|Succeeded by||Salvatore Rossi|
21 November 1949 |
|Alma mater||Sapienza University
University of Pennsylvania
Early life and education
Visco was born in Naples on 21 November 1949. He obtained a summa cum laude degree in economics from the Sapienza University of Rome in 1971 with Federico Caffè as supervisor and continued his studies at the University of Pennsylvania (Economics Department), where he obtained an MA in 1974 and a PhD in 1981.
In 1972 Visco began his career at the Bank of Italy and in 1990 he was named head of the research department; from 1997 to 2002 he was chief economist of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and on 9 January 2007 he was named deputy director general of the Bank of Italy (alongside Giovanni Carosio) and a member of its Direttorio (Board of Directors).
Starting from 1 January 2013, in accordance with Legislative Decree 95/12 (converted into law, with modifications, from Law no.135/2012), he also holds the position of chairman of the joint governing board of the Italian Insurance Supervisory Authority (IVASS).
- Price Expectations in Rising Inflation, North Holland, 1984
- Le aspettative nell'analisi economica, Il Mulino, 1985
- Inflazione, concorrenza e sviluppo (with Stefano Micossi), Il Mulino, 1993
- Saving and the Accumulation of Wealth (with Albert Ando and Luigi Guiso), Cambridge University Press, 1994
- L'economia italiana (with Federico L. Signorini), Il Mulino, 2002
- Ageing and Pension System Reform (as Chairman of the G-10 Working Group), 2005 (PDF)
- Investire in conoscenza, Il Mulino, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ignazio Visco.|
- Bio from the Bank of Italy website
- "Bankitalia, alla fine l'outsider: Berlusconi sceglie Ignazio Visco". la Repubblica (in Italian). 20 October 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Berlusconi chooses Ignazio Visco to head Bank of Italy". AFP Global Edition. 20 October 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Bocciarelli, Rossella (20 December 2006). "Giovanni Carosio e Ignazio Visco nel Direttorio di Bankitalia". Il Sole 24 Ore (in Italian). Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Donovan, Jeffrey (24 October 2011). "Italian President Signs Decree to Name Visco Bank of Italy Head". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
|Deputy Director General of the Bank of Italy
|Governor of the Bank of Italy