Igo is an unincorporated community with 625 residents 9 miles west of Redding, CA. Its ZIP Code is 96047. Wired Telephone numbers follow the pattern 530-396-xxxx. It has a neighboring town of Ono, which is four miles west of Igo. It is also home to the Northern California Veterans Cemetery, dedicated in December 2005. It has a post office, elementary school, general store, and a restaurant/beer & wine bar/banquet hall - The Igo Inn. It is also home to Brigadoon Castle Bed and Breakfast, but it is now a private residence.
The name Igo may be derived from an unidentified Native American language. According to folk etymology, Igo was named from the question "I go?" frequently asked by a miner's son who liked to accompany his father to work.
Igo, California, and its neighboring community Ono, share a community newsletter, the Umbrella available online at http://www.igoono.com/
- California Veterans Cemetery
- Gallant, Frank K. (2012). A Place Called Peculiar: Stories about Unusual American Place-Names. Courier Dover Publications. p. 26.
- Remington, Frank L. (Sep 8, 1969). "Take a Good Look at the US Map. Towns Have the Craziest Names". The Milwaukee Journal. p. 1. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Climate Summary for Igo, California