Igor Valerievich Babailov (born February 9, 1965) is a Russian-born American painter and portrait artist, known for his commissioned portraits of global leaders, celebrities and distinguished individuals. Some of his notable portraits include those of: Pope Benedict XVI (Vatican), President of Russia Vladimir Putin (Kremlin), New York State Appellate Division Justice Joseph P. Sullivan (Appellate Division Courthouse of New York State), Mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York (Giuliani Partners), Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney (House of Commons), pianist Byron Janis (Steinway Hall), Templeton Prize recipient Michael Novak of the American Enterprise Institute, and numerous other prominent figures for public and private collections. Besides portrait works, Babailov is also known for his large scale multi-figurative paintings, such as his “For Gold, God and Glory” painting and “Believe” painted for the Vatican on the occasion of the World Youth Days.
Background and academia
Babailov began his formal art education at nine years of age. He received his Master of Fine Art's degree from the Surikov Academy of Fine Arts of The Moscow School of Painting acclaimed for its famous teachers and alumni: Valentin Serov, Konstantin Korovin, and Abram Arkhipov among others.
Scholar and advocate of the traditional values in visual arts, Mr. Babailov's teachings highlight the importance of drawing from life as a foundation for strong painting. Babailov holds workshops and portrait demonstrations in art colleges, art societies, and private clubs across North America. He is a public speaker, represented by Harry Walker Agency. According to the Agency, in his demonstrations “…you witness "the truth of the soul" coming alive in front of your eyes…”
Babailov has been featured in professional art publications and news media, such as: The New York Daily News, National Review, The Moscow Times, CBC News, the Vatican's ZENIT, Live with Regis and Kelly Show, The Artist's Magazine, Art World News, International Artist, Classical Realism Journal, AskMen, MercatorNet, The Encyclopedia Tematica del Peru, and Italian American magazine Primo.
- "Pontiff's aura colors artist's image". NY Daily News.
- "A Putin Portrait For Your Parlor - News". The Moscow Times.
- "Portrait of President Vladimir Putin by Igor Babailov".
- Hon. Joseph P. Sullivan Archived 2010-04-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- "HERO WORSHIP". The Brooklyn Paper.
- "The House of Commons Heritage Collection".
- "Social Diary 3/28/05 - Murders, Birthdays, Car Shows, Easter".
- "Michael Novak Portrait Unveiling - November 8, 2009". YouTube.
- "Art Renewal Center Museum™ Artist Information for Igor V. Babailov". Art Renewal Center.
- "AskART - Art Prices, Painting Value, Art Appraisal, Art Values, Auction Prices".
- "Art Renewal Center :: Igor V. Babailov :: Portrait of Pope John Paul II". Art Renewal Center.
- "Igor Babailov, Biography".
- "Art Renewal Center® Leading the Revival of Realism in the Fine Arts". Art Renewal Center.
- "Art Renewal Center® Scholarships and Programs with Online Museum". Art Renewal Center.
- Harry Walker Agency Archived 2010-09-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-12-12. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- CBC News
- Live with Regis and Kelly Segment 1 - 06/11/03
- The Artist's Magazine(May 1998, April 1999)
- Art World News July 2007, Volume XII Issue 7
- International Artist Volume 2 No. 11 Feb/March 2000
- Classical Realism Journal, Volume IV, Issue 1
- Ross Bonander. "Portrait artists - AskMen". AskMen.
- "Enough of 'art for art's sake'. Let's have some art for the sake of humanity, truth and goodness".
- Encyclopedia Tematica del Peru, p.16, Empresa Editora Il Comercio,S.A (2004)
- Primo Magazine September/October 2001
- Official website
- The New York Daily News – Video
- The World of Igor Babailov by V. Zakharov, 2001
- White House Christmas Ornaments
- The Tennessean
- Streilein Foundation, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA
- The Post and Courier\
- Michael Novak’s portrait unveiling (YouTube)
- Igor Babailov Biography
- The Ford Book