Ijime, Dame, Zettai
|"Ijime, Dame, Zettai"|
Standard edition cover
|Single by Babymetal|
|from the album Babymetal|
|B-side||"Catch Me If You Can" (standard)
"Babymetal Death" (limited)
|Released||January 9, 2013|
|Genre||J-pop, speed metal, industrial metal, death metal|
|Length||20:06 (standard edition)
18:00 (limited edition CD)
|Songwriter(s)||Nakametal, Tsubometal, Kxbxmetal, Takemetal ("Ijime, Dame, Zettai")
Edometal, Narasaki ("Catch Me If You Can")
Kitsune of Metal God ("Babymetal Death")
|Producer(s)||Kyoto ("Ijime, Dame, Zettai")
Narametal ("Catch Me If You Can")
Yuyoyuppe ("Babymetal Death")
|Babymetal singles chronology|
|Rolling Stone Japan|||
"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ?, lit. "Bullying, No Good, Absolutely"), occasionally subtitled "No More Bullying" or "No More, Bullying, Forever", is the debut major single by the band Babymetal. It was released in Japan on January 9, 2013 as the fourth single from the album Babymetal.
- 1 Background and release
- 2 Composition
- 3 Reception
- 4 Music video
- 5 Live performances
- 6 Track listings
- 7 Credits and personnel
- 8 Charts
- 9 Release history
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Background and release
The single was first announced after the concert Legend "I" at Shibuya O-East on October 6, 2012. An early version of the song can be heard in a video uploaded to the band's official YouTube channel entitled "Babymetal - My First Heavy Metal in Tokyo 2012", which also features part of a live performance of "Iine!". An interview with the producers of the band was published in the December issue of Marquee to promote the single's release in January.
The single was released in four versions: a standard edition and three physical limited "I", "D", "Z" editions. The DVDs included in the limited editions contain either footage of the music video for "Ijime, Dame, Zettai", or of a live performance by Babymetal. The single also had a promotional release to customers who purchased tickets to live performances of Legend "I", "D", or "Z".
Unlike previous singles released under Juonbu Records, no songs from the single appeared on a Sakura Gakuin album, due to "Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!" having been already released the same nendo (school year).
"Ijime, Dame, Zettai"
"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" has a melodic speed metal sound, with lyrics pushing for the eradication of bullying. The serious vocals of Suzuka Nakamoto, coupled with the more comical vocals of Yui Mizuno and Moa Kikuchi give the title track a more distinctive sound. The song is performed in the key of C♯ minor; the key shifts to F minor and G♯ minor in the bridge, finishing in E minor. According to Blabbermouth.net, the song "quickly created a buzz due to its mix of melodic speed metal, sensational lyrics around the theme of "Ijime" and the band's performance, which incorporates the "Wall of Death.""
When asked about the member's favorite lyrics on Babymetal, Nakamoto chose a lyric in the song, explaining that "there is one phrase that means "I will protect you no matter what." I feel very connected to that because we play the song at the end of our set. All of us are super tired from the whole show, but there's one part in our choreography where we all walk to the center and look into each other's eyes and it's like, "OK, let's do this." It also reflects to where we are in reality. To me, it's a very, very important part of our show and that's why I like it."
Written by the same contributors as the band's previous single "Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!", "Catch Me If You Can" contains elements of "digi-rock" (digital rock) and industrial metal, as well as a namahage-themed "death growl interlude", while the lyrics consist of a more comical theme of playing hide and seek. The song begins with footsteps; Mizuno admittedly expressed her fear of the ominous sounds, preferring to skip them when recording. The verse includes the three members speaking, although Nakamoto's lines were ultimately scrapped from the final track.
With arrangement by Yuyoyuppe, "Babymetal Death" begins with a symphonic intro, building up to a death metal number as voices shout out the phrase, letter by letter "Babymetal Death!!". The pun found in the name derives from the Japanese devoicing of the "/u/" sound, which is exploited in the word "death" (desu). As a result, the phrase can be read as "We are Babymetal" (Babymetal desu), which the band members used in the early years. According to Kobametal, the original version of the song, released as a special feature from the "Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!" single, was originally one second long, as a homage to the Napalm Death song "You Suffer".
Kazumi Nanba of Rolling Stone Japan reviewed the title track, commenting that with accordance to the "eradication of bullying" in the title, the song is very straightforward and filled with a cute interjections, mentioning a balance between the seriousness and humor in the metal accompaniment, though it is excessively exquisite.
The single debuted at number six on the Oricon Weekly Singles Chart on the week of January 21, 2013, selling 19,000 copies in its first week of release. The song also managed to peak at number five on the Oricon Daily Singles Chart.
The concept of the video originated from the song title, depicting a world where metal music is persecuted, and followers of the genre are hunted down. To combat this, the three members are summoned to revitalize the spirit of metal, forming the concept known as the "Metal Resistance". The costumes worn in the video carry tones of red and black, as well as medieval armor styles in the image of Joan of Arc. During the bridge of the song, Mizuno and Kikuchi take the challenge of engaging in a "metal guitar battle" using guitars that were warped and damaged in earlier scenes.
The song was premiered at the Sakura Gakuin concert Sakura Gakuin 2011 Nendo: New Departure at the Shibuya Duo Music Exchange on July 24, 2011. A month later, the song was performed at the annual Tokyo Idol Festival.
On November 21, 2012, the band performed the song on the Nippon Broadcasting System program MC Plus. In addition to collaborating with Tower Records for the 26th rendition of the event No Music, No Idol?, the band performed at several events, including the new year concert "One Song! Explosive Live!" at HMV Club Quattro in Shibuya on January 7, 2013, the Anime Festival Asia 2012 Show Screening at Tower Records in Shibuya on January 12, 2013, and the "Ijime, Dame, Zettai" in Osaka event on January 14, 2013.
On stage, the song begins with Mizuno and Kikuchi running across the stage from opposite ends, cueing the audience to mosh via the Wall of Death. During the chorus, the three members jump and cross their arms into an "X", while shouting "Dame!" (No!). Overall, the live performances has inspiration from those of the band X Japan.
During the concert Legend "Z", the three members wore white robes for the encore, performing "Babymetal Death" (normally performed as a concert opener) and "Ijime, Dame, Zettai". A curtain was raised to obscure the stage beforehand, with lights from backstage projecting shadows of the members onto the sheet until the band resumed performance.
Standard edition (CD)
|1.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ)||6:06|
|2.||"Catch Me If You Can" (Catch me if you can)||3:57|
|3.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (Air Vocal Ver.) (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ（Air Vocal ver.）)||6:06|
|4.||"Catch Me If You Can" (Air Vocal Ver.) (Catch me if you can（Air Vocal ver.）)||3:57|
Limited editions "I", "D", "Z" (CD+DVD)
|1.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ)||6:06|
|3.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (Nemesis Ver.) (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ -Nemesis ver.-)||6:06|
|Limited "I" edition DVD – Music video|
|1.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (music video) (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ（Music Video）)||6:10|
|2.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (behind the scenes) (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ（Making Video）)|
|Limited "D" edition DVD – 2nd Idol Yokocho Festival!! Live Band Special 4/8/2012 at Shibuya-AX|
|1.||"Doki Doki ☆ Morning" (ド・キ・ド・キ☆モーニング)||3:45|
|Limited "Z" edition DVD – Legend "Corset Festival" 7/21/2012 at Rock May Kan|
|2.||"Uki Uki ★ Midnight" (ウ・キ・ウ・キ★ミッドナイト)||3:20|
Promotional editions (CD)
|Yonaoshi-ban editions "Su-metal", "Yuimetal", "Moametal"|
|1.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ)||6:06|
|2.||"Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!" (Night of 15 Mix) (ヘドバンギャー！！ -Night of 15 mix-)||4:29|
Credits and personnel
Recording and management
- Recorded at MukuStudio, Sound Arts Studio, S.O.L.I.D. Sound Lab, and Wacken Open Studio
- Mixed at Art Pop Entertainment, Hama Shobo Studio (濱書房スタジオ), S.O.L.I.D. Sound Lab, and Heartbeat Recording Studio
- Mastered at Parasight Mastering
Credits adapted from "Ijime, Dame, Zettai" standard and limited "I" single liner notes.
|Oricon Daily Singles Chart||5|
|Oricon Weekly Singles Chart||6|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100||14|
|Billboard Japan Hot Top Airplay||46|
|Billboard Japan Hot Singles Sales||5|
|Japan||January 9, 2013||CD, digital download||
|CD||Limited editions "I", "D", "Z"|
|Worldwide||Digital download||Toy's Factory||Standard edition|
- Kazumi Nanba (2013-01-10). "イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ". Rolling Stone Japan (in Japan). Power to the People Inc. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- Stark, Hazu (28 November 2012). "Vuelve BABYMETAL con "Ijime, Dame, Zettai"". Crunchyroll (in Spanish). Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "BABYMETAL - Ijime,Dame,Zettai - Live at Sonisphere 2014,UK (Official Video) - YouTube". YouTube. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-31.
- "BABYMETAL 世直しメタルソング「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」全貌解禁". Musicman-NET. 2012-12-04.
- ""イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ"。BABYMETALの新曲がタワレコシングルチャート1位に1". TechinsightJapan. 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "BABYMETAL、デビューシングルの"世直しメタル"「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」がメタル曲でシングルチャートトップ10入りを達成". Barks. 2013-01-15.
- "BABYMETAL「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」でメジャー進出". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL ～ My First HEAVY METAL in TOKYO 2012 ～ - YouTube". YouTube. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "BABYMETAL、待望のメジャーデビュー作制作秘話を明かす". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "Babymetal - イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ 世直し盤 Su-metal Version (CD) at Discogs". Retrieved 2016-03-31.
"Babymetal - イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ 世直し盤 Yuimetal Version (CD) at Discogs". Retrieved 2016-03-31.
"Babymetal - イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ 世直し盤 Moametal Version (CD) at Discogs". Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "BABYMETAL「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」特集 (1/5)". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ（BABYMETAL） / コード譜 / ギター - J-Total Music!" (in Japanese). J-Total Music!. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Japan's BABYMETAL Talks 'Headbangeeeeerrrrr!' Single, Plans To Travel Overseas (Video)". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-07-02.
- "「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」ジャケット写真＆収録曲の全貌を発表DEATH！！" (in Japanese). BABYMETAL official website. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "BABYMETAL全楽曲解説" [BABYMETAL Explains All the Songs]. Hedoban (in Japanese). Shinko Music Entertainment (1): 72–74. 2013-07-04.
- "ヒットがみえる! エンタメマーケット情報サイト ORICON BiZ online" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- ""イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ"。BABYMETALの新曲がタワレコシングルチャート1位に！". Techinsight (in Japanese). 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "BABYMETAL新曲「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」映像公開". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "2013年1月9日発売「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」ミュージックビデオが遂に完成DEATH！！" (in Japanese). BABYMETAL. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL 世直しメタルソング「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」MVフル公開で大反響". Musicman-Net (in Japanese). FB Communications Co. Ltd. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL、来年4/2に"メタルの聖地"イギリス ウェンブリー・アリーナでワンマン・ライヴ開催決定！"Sonisphere Festival"のライヴ映像も公開！". 激ロック (in Japanese). Geki Rock Entertainment Inc. 2015-08-26. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "成長期限定ユニット さくら学院が新メンバー初お披露目". hotexpress (in Japanese). Plantech Co. Ltd. 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL 動画コメント掲載DEATH!!". ローチケHMV (in Japanese). Lawson HMV Entertainment Inc. 2012-12-28. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "【「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」初オンエア！！メディア出演情報DEATH！！】". BABYMETAL. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL「NO MUSIC, NO IDOL?」ポスター登場＆「HMV渋谷クアトロ店」第2弾に出演決定". Musicman-Net (in Japanese). FB Communications Co. Ltd. 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "BABYMETAL、メジャー初シングル"イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ"で甲冑風コスに". TOWER RECORDS ONLINE (in Japanese). Tower Records Japan Inc. 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "CDJapan : Ijime, Dame, Zettai [w/ DVD, Limited Edition / "D" Ban] BABYMETAL CD Maxi". Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "CDJapan : Ijime, Dame, Zettai [w/ DVD, Limited Edition / "Z" Ban] BABYMETAL CD Maxi". Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- Ijime, Dame, Zettai (CD liner notes). Babymetal. Toy's Factory. 2013. p. 2.
Ijime, Dame, Zettai (Limited "I" edition) (CD liner notes). Babymetal. Toy's Factory. 2013. p. 2.
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100│Charts│Billboard JAPAN". Billboard Japan. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100 Airplay│Charts│Billboard JAPAN (2013/01/21 付け)". Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "Billboard Japan Hot Singles Sales│Charts│Billboard JAPAN". Billboard Japan. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "BABYMETAL". iTunes JP. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Babymetal". iTunes US. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 April 2014.