Ik Junoon (Paint It Red)
|"Ik Junoon (Paint It Red)"|
|Song by Shankar Ehsaan Loy (composer)
Shankar Mahadevan, Vishal Dadlani, Ehsaan Noorani, Alyssa Mendonsa, Gulraj Singh (singers)
|from the album Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (soundtrack)|
|Released||8 June 2011|
"Ik Junoon (Paint It Red)" (Hindi: इक जूनून; English: A Passion) is a song by composer trio Shankar Ehsaan Loy for the film Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. The song was performed by Clinton Cerejo, Vishal Dadlani and Alyssa Mendonsa while the lyrics was penned by Javed Akhtar.
S-E-L were asked to compose an Ambient house song by director Zoya Akhtar. They composed the song and gave it pop twist to it, so that it fits the situation well. The Vocoder was used for getting the robotic voice effect. The song is all about losing yourself in the moment. The promo of the songs was released on 27 May 2011.
The La Tomatina festival of Spain was re-created for the shoot of the song. It was shot in Buñol, Valencia, Spain. Almost 16 tons of tomatoes were used for the shoot and they were flown in from Portugal. The import of tomatoes itself cost the producers about ₹ 1 crore. The song features Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol, Farhan Akhtar, Katrina Kaif and Ariadna Cabrol. The actors had to clean themselves up with hot water after every shot. They all were so sick of tomatoes after the shoot, that they couldn't eat any dish containing tomatoes for weeks.
Reception and chart performance
Bollywood Hungama described the song as, "full of 'masti', 'maza' and energy through visuals with the sound being totally subtle." The Rediff review remarked, "a sublime rhythm and minimalist ambience to work up a state of ecstasy which is irresistible".
The song was an instant hit and rocked the music charts, as it entered the Radio Mirchi Top 20 list of the week at #1 and regained and maintained its #1 spot in third week, after dropping to #2 in the second week. The song made its entry in the Planet Bollywood charts at #6 and climbed two spots to #4 in one week. At the BBC Asian Charts, the song debuted at #40 and leaped to #7 in 6 weeks.
- "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara : Complete Cast and Crew details". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Making of Ik Junoon". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Ik Junoon (Paint it red) - Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (Extended promo w/ subtitles HQ)". YouTube. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Abhay Deol goes topless!". Hindustan Times. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-29.[permanent dead link]
- "Check out: Hrithik, Katrina, Farhan & Abhay shooting for Tomatina fest in Spain". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara : Music Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Review: Zindagi Na Milegi... music is delightful - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Music Chart - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Music Chart - Times of India - 24 July 2011". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Top 10 Hindi Film Songs on Planet Bollywood - "Hale Dil" conquers more hearts with its melody and "Ik Junoon (Paint It Red)" makes entry!". Planetbollywood.com. 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Top 10 Hindi Film Songs on Planet Bollywood - "Murder 2" dominates; "Delhi Belly" is still solid and `Oye Oye` enters the chart!". Planetbollywood.com. 2011-06-21. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Archive Chart". Theofficialcharts.com. 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Asian Network - The Official Asian Download Chart - The Official Asian Download Chart". BBC. 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara Official Site