|Manufacturer||Ikarus Drachen Thomas Pellicci|
Design and development
The Grasshopper is intended to be a simple single surface glider with easy handling and modest performance for flight training and school use. It employs a very large wing area, low aspect ratio and low weight to make it easy for students to take-off and land. Unlike many hang glider models, the Grasshopper is available in just one size.
The aircraft is made from aluminum tubing, with the wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. Its 10.2 m (33.5 ft) span wing is cable braced from a single kingpost. The nose angle is 120°, wing area is 21 m2 (230 sq ft) and the aspect ratio is 4.95:1. The take-off weight range is 68 to 110 kg (150 to 243 lb) and pilot hook-in weight range is 45 to 85 kg (99 to 187 lb). It is certified as DHV Class 1.
- Crew: one
- Wingspan: 10.2 m (33 ft 6 in)
- Wing area: 21 m2 (230 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 4.95:1
- Empty weight: 23.0 kg (51 lb)
- Gross weight: 110 kg (243 lb)
- Maximum speed: 54 km/h (34 mph; 29 kn)
- Wing loading: 5.2 kg/m2 (1.1 lb/sq ft)
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 46. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster OK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Ikarus Drachen Thomas Pellicci (n.d.). "Ikarus Grashüpfer - der Schulungsdrachen für den Übungshang Der Grashüpfer ist als sehr gutmütiger Einsteiger für den Übungshang konzipiert (German language)". Retrieved 23 February 2012.