Ike (Fire Emblem)
|Fire Emblem character|
Ike as he appears in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|First game||Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)|
Ike (アイク Aiku) is a fictional character from the Fire Emblem series of video games. More specifically, he is the central protagonist and Lord-class character of the tenth game in the series, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and one of the central characters in the Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Ike's premiere game, Path of Radiance, was the first console Fire Emblem game released internationally, was the first console Fire Emblem game released since the Super Famicom game, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, and was the first to have three-dimensional, cel-shaded graphics. His raw personality and blue hair are derived from Hector, the protagonist of the first Fire Emblem released to Europe and North America, when Ike's creators discovered that he was one of the most popular characters in the series.
Ike appeared in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance as he was a legendary hero. he appears again in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn as he continues to lead the army towards the Crimean capital and defeats Ashnard, ending the Daein occupation and allowing Elincia to take her proper place as the nation's queen. he also appeared in Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Fire Emblem Heroes as he was the most iconic character. Ike is featured as a bonus playable character in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., where he is made playable upon the player linking their Amiibo with the game. Outside of the Fire Emblem series, Ike was also included in a number of other Nintendo related games, including Super Smash Bros. series. Ike was a playable character in Nintendo's 2008 cross-over fighting game Super Smash Bros. Brawl as part of the game's core fighting cast. One of his special moves in the game is "Aether", which is a unique skill in Path of Radiance that only he can learn. He uses the weapon Ragnell, a two handed-sword which he wields with one hand. He later appeared in the follow up title, 2014's Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Coinciding with the game's release, Ike received an amiibo figure.  He once again appeared in 2018's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where players can choose between his appearances from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.
Ike has generally been a well-received character, and is known as one of the more popular Fire Emblem characters. In Nintendo's character polls for Fire Emblem Heroes, Ike was voted most popular male character, and beat the second most popular character, Roy, by a margin of over 22,000 votes. Polygon noted that Ike was one of the most famous Fire Emblem characters, something they cited as being due to his inclusion in the Smash Bros games. Series producer Toru Narihiro attributed an increase in reputation for both Ike and fellow Fire Emblem character Marth to their appearances in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, adding that their reputations grew beyond the staff's expectations. As a fighter in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and WiiU specifically, his inclusion was generally well-received, although Kotaku reported that Japanese fans mocked and criticized his more muscular redesign, with people noting that he looked more gorilla-like than before.
- "Voice of Ike – Fire Emblem franchise". Behind The Voice Actors.
- "ファイアーエムブレム 蒼炎の軌跡 開発スタッフインタビュー". Nintendo.co.jp.
- "Fire Emblem Heroes adds 'Brave Heroes' Lucina, Roy, Lyn, and Ike – Gematsu". Gematsu.com. 29 August 2017.
- "Fire Emblem Heroes turns one with a major anniversary event". Polygon.com.
- "Fire Emblem Heroes adds Radiant Dawn version of Ike as game's third Legendary Hero – Nintendo Wire". Nintendowire.com. 30 January 2018.
- Schneider, Peer (30 September 2005). "Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance". Ign.com.
- "Destructoid review: Fire Emblem – Radiant Dawn".
- "Will Ike Star in a New Fire Emblem Remake?". USgamer.net.
- "Fire Emblem Heroes finally adds the series' biggest star". Polygon.com.
- "Fire Emblem Heroes just played its fanbase with its best event yet". polygon.com.
- Life, Nintendo (14 January 2015). "Code Name: S.T.E.A.M Gets European Release Date and Fire Emblem Cross-Over amiibo Support". Nintendolife.com.
- "Ike Set to Slash His Way into New 'Super Smash Bros.'". Gamerant.com. 23 May 2014.
- "amiibo by Nintendo – Ike". Nintendo.com.
- "Every Character That Will Appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate". screenrant.com. 7 July 2018.
- Frank, Allegra (9 February 2017). "Fire Emblem Heroes' most popular legends have been crowned". Polygon.
- Shirow, Masamune (2014-03-04). "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon". Intron Depot 5 – Battalion. Udon Entertainment. pp. 10–16. ISBN 978-1616552732.
- Ashcraft, Brian. "Ike Joins Super Smash Bros., Gets Compared to a Gorilla in Japan". Kotaku.com.