Ike Diogu (left)
|No. 2 – Guangdong Southern Tigers|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|League||Chinese Basketball Association|
September 11, 1983 |
Buffalo, New York
|Nationality||Nigerian / American|
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school||Garland (Garland, Texas)|
|College||Arizona State (2002–2005)|
|NBA draft||2005 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9th overall|
|Selected by the Golden State Warriors|
|2005–2007||Golden State Warriors|
|2008–2009||Portland Trail Blazers|
|2010–2011||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2012||San Antonio Spurs|
|2012||Xinjiang Flying Tigers|
|2012||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2012–2013||Guangdong Southern Tigers|
|2013||Leones de Ponce|
|2014||Leones de Ponce|
|2015–present||Guangdong Southern Tigers|
|Career highlights and awards|
- 1 Family and early life
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 3.1 Golden State Warriors
- 3.2 Indiana Pacers
- 3.3 Portland Trail Blazers
- 3.4 Sacramento Kings
- 3.5 New Orleans Hornets
- 3.6 Detroit Pistons
- 3.7 Los Angeles Clippers
- 3.8 San Antonio Spurs
- 3.9 Xinjiang Flying Tigers / Capitanes de Arecibo
- 3.10 Phoenix Suns
- 3.11 Guangdong Southern Tigers / Leones de Ponce
- 3.12 New York Knicks
- 3.13 Bakersfield Jam
- 3.14 Leones de Ponce
- 3.15 Dongguan Leopards
- 4 Nigerian national team
- 5 NBA career statistics
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Family and early life
Diogu's parents, natives of Nigeria, moved to the U.S. in 1980 to pursue further education. They later moved from Buffalo, New York, where he was born, to Garland, Texas. Ike attended Austin Academy, then enrolled at Garland High School. Diogu is a member of the Igbo ethnic group.
Diogu attended Arizona State University, where he excelled on the team under head coach Rob Evans. He garnered several honors, both in the Pac-10 Conference and nationally. He won Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, and then Pac-10 Player of the Year in his final season with ASU, as a Junior. Many in the public speculated that Diogu would enter the draft after playing for his third season with Arizona State. On June 21, 2005, he made the decision to enter the NBA draft.
Golden State Warriors
Diogu was selected 9th overall in the first round of the 2005 NBA draft by the Golden State Warriors. On December 23, 2005, he recorded a professional career-best 27 points on 13–15 shooting, surpassing his previous best by 12 points.
On January 17, 2007, Diogu, whom Larry Bird called the "gem" of the deal, was traded to the Indiana Pacers along with teammates Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Troy Murphy, and Keith McLeod for Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Sarunas Jasikevicius, and Josh Powell.
Portland Trail Blazers
On June 26, 2008 (draft night), Diogu was traded by Indiana to the Portland Trail Blazers along with the draft rights to Jerryd Bayless in exchange for Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts and the draft rights to Brandon Rush to the Indiana Pacers.
New Orleans Hornets
Diogu signed with the New Orleans Hornets on July 29, 2009, but never appeared in a game for the team.
He signed with the Detroit Pistons on September 27, 2010, becoming a member of their preseason roster. On October 20, 2010, Diogu was waived by the Pistons.
Los Angeles Clippers
San Antonio Spurs
Xinjiang Flying Tigers / Capitanes de Arecibo
During the 2012 CBA Playoffs, the Xinjiang Flying Tigers signed Diogu for the rest of the 2012 CBA Playoffs. Diogu was a replacement for Gani Lawal during this time. He later signed with Capitanes de Arecibo of the Baloncesto Superior Nacional.
Guangdong Southern Tigers / Leones de Ponce
New York Knicks
Leones de Ponce
Nigerian national team
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Kirkpatrick, Curry. "Plenty to like about Ike". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Ike Diogu Stats, Video, Bio, Profile | NBA.com". nba.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Pistons remain hot with 12-point win over Golden State
- "Pacers, Warriors announce 8-player deal". Associated Press. January 17, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Blazers get Ruffin from Bulls, send Diogu to Kings
- "CLIPPERS SIGN FREE AGENT FORWARD IKE DIOGU". NBA.com. December 22, 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- Spurs Sign Ike Diogu
- "Capitanes de Arecibo tab Ike Diogu". Sportando.com. April 7, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- "Paul Coro’s Suns blog | Insiders". azcentral.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Guandong Tigers add Diogu to their roster
- New York Knicks sign Ike Diogu
- Knicks waive Ike Diogu, C.J. Leslie, Josh Powell, Jeremy Tyler, Chris Douglas-Roberts
- Jam Acquire Ike Diogu
- Eighth Annual NBA D-League All-Star Game Features 16 Players With NBA Experience
- Jam's Ike Diogu Named 2014 NBA D-League Impact Player of the Year
- Ike Diogu signs with DongGuan with NBA out