Il Giorno (newspaper)
Front page (Milan edition), 8 February 2009
|Type||National daily newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Poligrafici Editoriale (since 1997)|
|Founder(s)|| • Cino Del Duca
• Gaetano Baldacci
|Founded||21 March 1956|
|Headquarters||Milan, Lombardy, Italy|
History and profile
Il Giorno was founded by the Italian businessman Cino Del Duca on 21 March 1956, with the journalist Gaetano Baldacci, to challenge Corriere della Sera, also a daily newspaper published in Milan. Later, because of a financial crisis, Italian public administrator Enrico Mattei and the state-owned oil company Eni bought part of the publishing company. The paper maintains a liberal political stance.
In 1959, Del Duca sold his stake to Eni and Italo Pietra became the newspaper's editor.
In 1997, Eni sold Il Giorno to the Italian publishing company Poligrafici Editoriale, which also owns two other Italian newspapers (il Resto del Carlino and La Nazione) under the Quotidiano Nazionale network.
In 2000, Il Giorno switched from a broadsheet to a tabloid format. The paper was published in tabloid format until 2003 when it adopted again broadsheet format. In 2009, the paper began to publish a new sports supplement.
The 1988 circulation of Il Giorno was 290,000 copies. In 1992 it had a circulation of 170,000 copies. Its circulation was 75,601 copies in 2004. In 2008 the newspaper had a circulation of approximately 69,000 copies.
- Gino Moliterno, ed. (2005). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture (PDF). London and New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-203-74849-2. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Peter Humphreys (1996). Mass Media and Media Policy in Western Europe. Manchester University Press. p. 90. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Communicating Europe: Italy Manual" (PDF). European Stability Initiative. 19 May 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Broadsheet / Tabloid Formats" (PDF). SFN Flash. 7 (1). 7 January 2004. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "European Publishing Monitor. Italy" (PDF). Turku School of Economics and KEA. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Data for average newspaper circulation in 2008 Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Accertamenti Diffusione Stampa.