|Born||May 24, 1961
|Died||March 20, 1994 (aged 32)
Ilaria Alpi (Rome May 24, 1961 – Mogadishu March 20, 1994) was an Italian journalist killed in Mogadishu, Somalia together with her camera operator Miran Hrovatin. In 2009 Francesco Fonti, a former 'Ndrangheta member, claimed that Ilaria Alpi and her cameraman were murdered because they had seen toxic waste shipped by the 'Ndrangheta arrive in Bosaso, Somalia.
At the time of her murder, she was following a case of weapon and illegal toxic waste traffic in which she believed also the Italian Army and other institutions were involved. Alpi was born in Rome and worked for Italian public television broadcaster RAI.
After graduating at the high school gymnasium "Titus Lucrezio Caro" of Rome, she graduated in literature after completing language courses and Islamic culture in the Department of Oriental Studies of the Sapienza University of Rome.
Thanks to the excellent knowledge of languages (Arabic, French, English) won the first journalist writing from Cairo on behalf of Paese Sera and L'Unità. Later she won a scholarship to be taken to Rai.
On March 20, 1994, she and Miran Hrovatin were killed in an ambush on their jeep in Mogadishu by a seven-man commando unit after returning from Bosaso, while they were in Mogadishu reporting for Rai 3. Somali citizen Hashi Omar Hassan was sentenced to 26 years in prison for the double murder.
On 20 March 2014, 20 years after their death, the Italian government has reportedly authorised the declassification of secret files into their death.
In memory of Ilaria Alpi
The 2003 film Ilaria Alpi - Il più crudele dei giorni of Ferdinando Vicentini Orgnani recounts this tragic story.
In 1997, the Gang have dedicated the song Chi ha ucciso Ilaria Alpi?, while in 2010 the Pooh wrote the song Reporter, poignant ballad on the album Dove comincia il sole dedicated to Ilaria and her illustrious colleague, Oriana Fallaci.
In 2007 he made his debut at the Prize Ilaria Alpi's monologue civil theater "The Holiday" which reconstructs the case of Ilaria and Miran. Written and performed by Marina Senesi, actress and voice of Radio 2 Caterpillar in collaboration with Sabrina Giannini, journalist of Report. In 2011, at the invitation of Don Luigi Ciotti work was represented on the stage of the "XVI Day of the memory and the commitment against the mafie" and the National Day of Libera. Associations, names and numbers against mafias.
Plaques and awards
- 1994, Plate, Community Open, Riccione
- 1994, Plate, Prize National to Professionalism, Serrone, Fiuggi
- 1995, Plate, Association of Journalists, Turin
- 1994, Prize, Clean pens, Sarteano, Siena
- 2005, Prize, Antonio Russo, Francavilla al mare, Chieti
- 2003, Prize, Mario de Murtas, Alghero
- 1995, Prize, the book, International Fair, Messina
- Plate, circumscription VIII, Rome
- 1994, Prize, National Chia for the record photographic and television, Chia, Cagliari
- 1994, Prize, Prof. G.Moscati, Casanova, Caserta
- 1995, Prize, Professional Reporter: the image of journalism in film.
- 1995, Journalist Award Roberto Ghinetti, San Miniato, Pisa
- 1994, Plate, Memory Serming
- 1994, Prize journalism, Rotary Club - Carlo Casalegno, Rome
- 2003, Prize journalism, Andrea Barbato, Mantua
- 2003, 04, 05, Prize journalism, Chamber of Deputies
- Journalist Award, Roma per Roma, Campidoglio
- 1995, Prize, Antonino Buttitta, Messina
- Honorary citizenship and Gold Medal, Sesto San Giovanni, Milan
- Establishment hit by fresh accusations in toxic waste scandal, by Phillip Willan, The Herald, September 20, 2009
- www.ilariaalpi.it: The places of memory to...Ilaria Alpi
- Ilaria & Miran - Alla ricerca della verità