|Born||September 6, 1920
|Died||September 5, 2010
|Known for||Founder, National Association of Hispanic Nurses|
Ildaura Murillo-Rohde (September 6, 1920 – September 5, 2010) was a Panamanian-American nurse, academic and organizational administrator. She specialized in psychiatric nursing, held academic appointments at several universities and was a psychotherapist in private practice. Murillo-Rohde founded the National Association of Hispanic Nurses in 1975. She was a World Health Organization consultant to the government of Guatemala and was named a Permanent UN Representative to UNICEF for the International Federation of Business and Professional Women. She was named a Living Legend of the American Academy of Nursing in 1994.
Ildaura Murillo-Rohde was born on September 6, 1920 in Panama. She came to the United States in 1945. She completed a nursing diploma from the Medical and Surgical Hospital School of Nursing in 1948. She earned an undergraduate degree in the teaching and supervision of psychiatric nursing from Teachers College, Columbia University. She earned an MA in teaching and curriculum development and an MEd in education and administration, both from Columbia. In 1971, Murillo-Rohde was the first Hispanic nurse awarded a PhD from New York University (NYU).
Murillo-Rohde became an associate dean at the University of Washington and was the first Hispanic nursing dean at NYU. Murillo-Rohde founded the National Association of Spanish-Speaking Spanish-Surnamed Nurses (NASSSN), known as the National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) after 1979, and served as its first president. In 1991, David Dinkins appointed Murillo-Rohde to a commission that examined the quality of care at New York City hospitals. In 1994, she was named a Living Legend of the American Academy of Nursing.
- Feldman, Harriet (ed.) (2012). Nursing Leadership: A Concise Encyclopedia. Springer Publishing. p. 393. ISBN 0826121772.
- "Biography" (PDF). Ildaura Murillo-Rohde Papers. 2011. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "About NAHN". National Association of Hispanic Nurses. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "Dinkins Selects Panel to Review City's Hospitals". The New York Times. November 9, 1991. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Living Legends". American Academy of Nursing. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Dr. Ildaura Murillo-Rohde, PhD, RN, FAAN". National Association of Hispanic Nurses. Retrieved July 28, 2013.