She majored in Social Work at Universidad de Antioquia. She presented several news shows, first on regional channel Teleantioquia. In 1998 she went to national television for Noticiero CM&. Three years later, she went to Telemundo, where she hosted the Noticiero Telemundo weekend edition and a segment at the now defunct morning show Cada Día con María Antonieta.
In March 2007, she left Telemundo to host Univision Primer Impacto's weekend edition. In 2009 Primer Impacto's Host Fernando del Rincon was fired and Ilia became a regular co-host on the Monday-Friday edition with Barbara Bermudo leaving the weekend edition to Satcha Pretto.
In 2010, while still co-anchoring Primer Impacto she became the co-anchor of week day edition Univision's late evening newscast "Noticiero Univision Edición Nocturna" airing at 11:30pm.
She is now the co-anchor to the 6:30 pm news Noticiero Univision, replacing former co-anchor Maria Elena Salinas in December 2017.
She is married to Eugene Jang; they have one daughter.
- "Personajes del Chocó" (in Spanish). La voz de la selva. 2005. Retrieved 2006-03-24.
- "El desafío de Ilia Calderón" (in Spanish). People en Español. 2005-06-29. Retrieved 2006-03-24.
- del Campillo, Laura (2007-03-09). "Ilia Calderón de estreno" (in Spanish). Univision. Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2006-03-24.
- "Pamela Silva Conde Joins Univision's "Primer Impacto" (in Spanish). Univision. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2006-06-06.
- Huffington Post: "Univision Anchor Writes Moving Letter On Preparing Her Daughter To Face Discrimination" By Carolina Moreno March 24, 2015
- (in Spanish) Ilia Calderón at Colarte