Ilia State University
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|ილიას სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტი|
|Latin: Heliae Universitas Publica|
In its activities, Ilia State University follows the model of a research triangle. This justifies the existence of three interdisciplinary directions at the University:
- Georgian studies;
- Researches in fundamental and applied sciences;
- Participation in international research.
The university was the first university in Georgia to introduce principles of liberal education.
In 2012, a new standard for teaching called RESULT (Research and Education Systems United as Learning Tools) was implemented, which means that students and professors are communicating about a specific research issue and carry out research together (research based teaching). The important part of teaching was planned according to this new format by faculty professors.RESULT allows students to learn by "doing", i.e., by means of participation in the research projects.
There are four Schools in the university, each offering undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate programs:
- School of Arts and Sciences, the professors of the school are united in more than 20 research institutes. The research programs of institutes at the same time serves as MA, MSc and PhD. Programs’ axis. The philosophy of the faculty is to involve students even from the first year of undergraduate education in the research process.
- Iliauni Business School founded in 2008 as the faculty of Business and Law. T he Economic Research and Consulting Center of Iliauni Business School leads research and consulting activities involving students.
- School of Law, 2012 School of Law became a member of the International Association of Law Schools and International Lawyers Association.
- School of Natural Sciences and Engineering, offers programs in: Architecture, Building Constructions and Computer Science. Includes: Institute of Earth Science; Fine and Applied Arts Center; Nanotechnologies
The university operates 25 research institutes, centers and laboratories dispersed across the country.
- Institute of Applied Physics
- Institute of Applied Psychology
- Institute of Earth Sciences
- Institute of Zoology
- Institute of Ecology
- Institute of Theoretical Physics
- International School for Caucasus Studies
- Center of Linguistic Research
- Institute for Modernity Studies
- Language Didactics Research Centre
- Dimitri Uznadze Institute of Psychology
- Research Centre for Semiotics
- Laboratory of Social Studies
- Institute for Fundamental and Interdisciplinary Mathematics Research
- Institute of Chemical Biology
- Institute of Comparative Literature
- Tengiz Oniani laboratory of Sleep-Wakefulness
- Institute of Medical Research
- Art Research Institute
- G. Tsereteli Institute of Oriental Studies
- Institute of Politology
- Savle Tsereteli Institute of Philosophy
- Institute of Biophysics
- 4D Research Institute
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ilia State University is a member of the following networks and organizations:
- Association “Rondine Cittadella della Pace”
- International Association of Universities – IAU 
- Association “Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch ”- ÖSD
- European Cooperation in the Field of Science and Technology - COST 
- European Universities Association - EUA 
- European Network of Occupational Therapy (ENOTHE)
- Francophone Universities Agency (AUF)
The University has established partnership relations with different education institutions abroad, some at university others at faculty or individual level. The list includes:
- University of Cambridge (UK),
- Berkley Laboratory (USA),
- International Centre for Theoretical Physics (Italy),
- University of Michigan (USA),
- Montpellier University (France),
- Pedagogical University of Italy (Italy),
- Suleiman Demirely University (Turkey),
- University of Austria (Australia),
- University of Bonn (Germany),
- University of Fribourg (Switzerland),
- Harvard University (USA),
Coat of Arms description
Four field « European » shield.
On the first azure field, six silver (white) open books signify the first six schools and schools of the Ilia State University while establishing. Books bear inscriptions of the three freedoms that lie at the heart of the University: academic freedom, freedom of conscience and freedom of choice.
The second field bears a large purple cross forming four parts with Bolnuri-Katskhuri crosses within. The Georgian National Flag signifies the State status of the University.
The third field with two half silver and half purple crossed keys of Andrew (knowledge keys) signify that the University holds the methods of educations.
On fourth azure (blue) field three polecat (ermine) fur welted purple academic caps signify the past of the two higher education institutions, their merger and the future of the newly formed University.
Beneath the shield of the coat of arms, the motto ribbon bears the Latin inscription « LIGAMUS», signifying «We Unite» i.e. the University's aspiration to unite research and education, bring together existing knowledge, creating new understanding and passing it on to students and society