|Parent||Iliad SA (100%)|
Iliad Italia was founded in 2016 as an Italian subsidiary of the French group Iliad SA. In 2017, in view of the launch and in compliance with the provisions of the European Commission, the acquisition of the frequencies ceased by Wind Tre began following the merger of Wind and 3 Italy; as of 31 December 2017, Iliad has acquired almost 300 of the sites abandoned by Wind Tre, while the remaining will be transferred, according to the agreements, by the end of 2019.
The French holding said it would invest more than €1 billion for the launch and development of the new Italian mobile operator (including those to win the new 5G frequencies in Italy) and also expected about a thousand hires.
On 16 January 2018 the name of the Italian administrator of Iliad Italia, Benedetto Levi, was officially announced, together with the presentation of the new logo and the institutional website. As part of the implementation of the infrastructures required to cover the Italian territory with its own network, on 16 February 2018, an agreement was reached with the Spanish group Cellnex, which provides Iliad Italia with over 7700 cellular antennas in Italy. Finally, on 29 May 2018, the official launch of the operator takes place, in conjunction with the presentation of the commercial offer and the start of the sale of SIM cards with new numbers or to carry out the number portability from other phone operators. On 18 July 2018, just under two months after its launch, Iliad Italia officially announced that it had reached one million customers between requests for portability and new subscriptions. On 4 September 2018, the Iliad group releases the results of the first half of 2018, reporting the achievement – by early August – of one and a half million customers in Italy; actually, on 6 September 2018, Iliad Italia issues a press release confirming the achievement of two million customers.
Iliad introduced the Simboxes in Italy, a new type of sales point, conceived and created by the French group, Aures and already in use since 2014 on the French market by Free Mobile; these are SIM card vending machines, which allow customers to register and purchase it independently.
- "2018 Financial year results" (pdf). 2019-03-19. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Iliad lancia la sfida a Tim, Vodafone e Wind-3: "Puntiamo al 10% del mercato"". Retrieved 2017-03-07.
- "Rete Iliad: a fine 2017 trasferiti da Wind Tre circa 300 siti. Previste sinergie di gruppo". Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Un milione di persone si è già unito alla #Rivoluzioneiliad" (pdf) (in Italian). 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "First-half 2018 results" (pdf). 2018-09-04. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Iliad: in Italia 1,5 milioni di abbonati inizio agosto, 9 milioni di ricavi a fine giugno". Il Sole 24 Ore (in Italian). 2018-09-04. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Mila Fiordalisi (2018-09-04). "Iliad ha 1,5 milioni di clienti: "Robusto successo commerciale". Avanti tutta sugli investimenti". Corriere Comunicazioni – Corcom.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Due milioni di utenti in 100 giorni: iliad celebra con la nuova incredibile offerta" (pdf) (in Italian). 2018-09-06. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- Bruno Ruffilli (2018-09-06). "Iliad, due milioni di clienti e una nuova offerta con 50 GB di dati". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- Official website (in Italian)