|No. 12 – Baskonia|
April 4, 1995 |
|Nationality||Senegalese / Spanish|
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (104 kg)|
|2011–2012||→ UPV/EHU Campus de Álava|
Ilimane Diop Gaye (born April 4, 1995) is a Senegalese-Spanish professional basketball player for Baskonia. Although he was born in Dakar, Diop officially represents Spain when being on international duty since he was a baby when his family settled in Spain. Previously, he has led their junior teams to multiple bronze medals.
A product of Spanish powerhouse Baskonia, was sent out on loan to minor league team to gain playing time and experience. Diop made his debut for Baskonia in the Spanish top-flight ACB in the course of the 2013-14 campaign.
After achieving a bronze medal with the under-16 team and the under-18 team, on 11 July 2016, Diop made his debut with the national team in a friendly game played in Burgos against Angola. He scored four points and grabbed three rebounds to collaborate in the win by 85–61.
Standing 6'11" with a wingspan of 7'11" feet, Diop is regarded as one of the most potent players in the Liga ACB and possibly a future NBA draft selection. Length has been an inevitable problem for his opponents, who have struggled against the pick-and-roll and rebounds. He is also noted for his raw talent that could grow into a "great basketball body." Balance, footwork, and strength have remained intangibles for the center.
His brother Mamadou is also a basketball player who previously played in the same Spanish basketball squad as he did.
- "Ilimane Diop Player Profile". Eurobasket.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Ilimane Diop Player Profile". RealGM.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Release, Official. "Thirty-three international early-entry candidates withdraw from Draft". NBA.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Ilimane Diop debuta con la selección española senior" (in Spanish). ACB.com. 12 July 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Hein, David. "Spain youngster Diop taking step in Euroleague". FIBA.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Mills, Danny. "Eurohopes Basketball Prospect Ilimane Diop". EuroHopes.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.