Photo by Mikhail Evstafiev
|Deputy Prime Minister of Finland|
April 26, 1991 – August 23, 1991
|Prime Minister||Esko Aho|
|Preceded by||Pertti Paasio|
|Succeeded by||Pertti Salolainen|
|Minister for Foreign Affairs|
April 19, 2007 – April 4, 2008
|Prime Minister||Matti Vanhanen|
|Preceded by||Erkki Tuomioja|
|Succeeded by||Alexander Stubb|
|Minister of Labour|
April 26, 1991 – April 12, 1995
|Prime Minister||Esko Aho|
|Preceded by||Matti Puhakka|
|Succeeded by||Liisa Jaakonsaari|
|Minister of Transport|
August 28, 1990 – April 25, 1991
|Prime Minister||Harri Holkeri|
|Preceded by||Raimo Vistbacka|
|Succeeded by||Ole Norrback|
|Member of the Parliament of Finland|
January 28, 1948 |
|Political party||National Coalition Party|
Ilkka Armas Mikael Kanerva (born 28 January 1948) is a Finnish politician and a member of the Parliament of Finland. He was born in Lokalahti, now a part of Uusikaupunki in Southwest Finland. He was the Minister for Foreign Affairs from 2007 to 2008.
Kanerva is a member of the National Coalition Party. He graduated with a master's degree in Political Science from the University of Turku in 1980. Kanerva was leader of the political youth organisation Kokoomuksen Nuorten Liitto ry. from 1972 to 1976 and was first elected to the Finnish Parliament in 1975. As of 2011 he is the longest standing Member of Parliament.
As Minister for Foreign Affairs, Kanerva was the Chairman-in-Office of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe for 2008. In 2014 he was elected president of the Parliamentary Assembly of the OSCE.
The National Coalition Party announced the resignation of Ilkka Kanerva on April 1, 2008 due to a scandal involving hundreds of sexually suggestive text messages he sent to the erotic dancer, Johanna Tukiainen, from his work mobile phone. Kanerva left for a sick leave on 1 April, and his term officially ended on 4 April 2008.
In March 2008 it was revealed that Kanerva had sent 200 SMS messages within a month to Johanna Tukiainen, a 29-year-old erotic dancer. Kanerva had previously sent SMS messages to nude model Marika Fingerroos in 2005. According to Kanerva, Tukiainen had wanted to perform with her dance group at his birthday party, and he responded to this request by text message.
On March 30 Kanerva unexpectedly cancelled his plan to participate in Lennart Meri Conference in Tallinn, Estonia, and returned to Finland. The Hymy magazine published on April 1, 2008 printed several of the messages, and on the same morning party leader Jyrki Katainen stated that Kanerva can not continue in his position.
- Member of Parliament (Varsinais-Suomi constituency) 1975–
- Minister at the Prime Minister's Office 1987–1990 (Harri Holkeri's cabinet)
- Minister at the Ministry of Finance 1989-1991 (Harri Holkeri's cabinet)
- Minister of Transport 1990–1991 (Harri Holkeri's cabinet)
- Minister of Labour and Minister at the Ministry of Finance 1991-1995 (Esko Aho's cabinet)
- Deputy Prime Minister (April–August 1991)
- Chair, Parliamentary Defence Committee 1999-2003
- Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament 2003–2007
- First Deputy Speaker of Parliament (March to April 2007)
- Minister for Foreign Affairs 2007–2008.
- Vice-President 2013 Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- President 2014 Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
Kanerva was among the National Coalition Party members receiving support from construction industry in the election in 2007 in Finland without giving the public information of it in time. Others included: Sauli Niinistö, Jyrki Katainen, Jyri Häkämies, Marja Tiura, Sampsa Kataja, Jari Koskinen and Juha Hakola (politician).
On June 9, 2011 in the Helsinki District Court Ilkka Kanerva was accused of accepting bribes. The prosecutor demanded a two-year prison sentence and €56,000 in damages for the received advantage. Police had charged Kanerva in May 2010. The accepted bribes were connected to the building of a shopping center. The judgement will be on 18. April 2012. The trial takes longer time based on four other ongoing corruption trial connected to this one.
Ilkka Kanerva was suspected of receiving bribes and interviewed by police in the end of March 2010. Kanerva was accused of receiving 17,000 € from Nova Group (Finland) (construction business, a key actor in the Finance scandal 2007) during his 60-years anniversary in 2008 and over 50,000 € in favor of the aimed new large shopping centers. The prosecutor demanded two years of imprisonment for bribery. The claims were kept secret until the trial in April 2012. The media had applied publicity prior the trial based on the political importance but failed to receive it.
Ilkka Kanerva, Arto Merisalo, Tapani Yli-Saunamäki and Toivo Sukari were seeking to overturn their bribery convictions in March 2013. The prosecutor wants a longer sentence against Kanerva.
The Helsinki Court of Appeal overturned MP Ilkka Kanerva's sentence for acceptance of bribes. In 2012, the District Court found Kanerva guilty of accepting tens of thousands of euros worth of gifts from the executives, who were seen to thereby gain influence over Kanerva’s actions as chair of the Regional Council of Southwest Finland. Among other things, the council has decision-making power over the zoning of new shopping centres. The Court of Appeal also overturned the sentences for aggravated bribery of three businessmen, Arto Merisalo, Tapani Yli-Saunamäki and Toivo Sukari. The District Court had sentenced Merisalo and Yli-Saunamäki to long prison terms. After the acquittal the Deputy State Prosecutor filed an appeal to the Supreme Court against Kanerva's acquittal.
- Kokoomus, Kekkonen ja NKP:n luottamus - Kansallisen Kokoomuksen toiminta hallitusaseman saavuttamiseksi 1969–1981
- "Ilkka Kanerva of Finland elected President of OSCE Parliamentary Assembly". www.oscepa.org. OSCEPA. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Ilkka Kanerva Etyjin yleiskokouksen presidentiksi
- Tiedotustilaisuus Ilkka Kanervan erosta yle information 1.4.2008 (Finnish)
- London Telegraph April 02, 2008; Finnish minister quits over saucy texts.
- Iltasanomat 1.4.2008: Näin Kanerva tekstaili: "Miten ois koskettaa yökerhossa sua sormilla"
- The Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs 1.4.2008: National Coalition Party proposes Alexander Stubb as foreign minister
- Foreign Minister admits to sending text messages to dancer, Helsingin Sanomat
- National Coalition Party leader perplexed by Kanerva SMS message uproar, HS
- Kanerva Garners Support of Both Party and Government, YLE
- Katainen liikuttui kertoessaan Kanervan erottamisesta - HS.fi - Politiikka
- STT:Tässä ovat Kehittyvien maakuntien Suomi -puolueen kansanedustajat Taloussanomat. 30.5.2008
- Sukaria epäillään Ilkka Kanervan lahjonnasta HS 6.5.2010 A5
- Syyttäjä vaatii Kanervalle vähintään kahta vuotta vankeutta Helsingin Sanomat 9.6.2011
- Syyttäjä: Kanerva syyllistyi lahjuksen ottoon HS 30.11.2011
- Kanerva-jutussa tuomio vasta puolen vuoden kuluttua! Ilta Sanomat 30.11.2011
- Markkula, Hannes: Ilkka Kanervaa epäillään lahjusrikoksesta Ilta-Sanomat. 29.3.2010
- Syyttäjä vaatii Kanervalle vähintään kahta vuotta vankeutta HS 9.6.2011
- Kanervan lahjussyyte pysyy salaisena oikeudenkäyntiin asti Helsingin Sanomat. 21.2.2011
- MP Kanerva back in court on corruption charges
- Kanerva’s bribery sentence overturned
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ilkka Kanerva.|
|Minister for Foreign Affairs (Finland)