The town hall in Ille-sur-Têt
|Canton||La Vallée de la Têt|
|• Mayor (2009–2014)||Willy Burghoffer|
|31.67 km2 (12.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||110–446 m (361–1,463 ft) |
(avg. 160 m or 520 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Its inhabitants are called Illois.
The commune is situated in the Ribéral region along the route nationale 116 and is crossed by the Têt River (in the north), as well as by its tributary, the Boulès (in the south). It is one of the gateways to the Fenouillèdes region (towards Montalba-le-Château or Bélesta).
Sites of interest
- Saint-Étienne Church
- Hospice d'Ille-sur-Tet (Hospici d'Illa in Catalan)
- The geological site of the Orgues d'Ille-sur-Têt
- Jean Bardou (1799-1852), industrialist, born in Ille-sur-Têt.
- Charles Dupuy (1851-1923), died in Ille-sur-Têt in 1923, President of the Council of Ministers under Presidents Sadi Carnot, Jean Casimir-Perier, Félix Faure and Émile Loubet.
- Joseph-Sébastien Pons (1886-1962), poet, born and dead in Ille-sur-Têt.
- Xavier de Gaulle (1887-1955), civil engineer (mines), Second World War résistant. Arrested but released as a veteran, the Vichy regime sent him to Ille-sur-Têt as a tax inspector but he remained under police surveillance. He fled to Switzerland where in 1944 he was made Consul Général de France, a post he held until 1953.
- Pierre Fouché (1891-1967), died in Ille-sur-Têt, linguist.
- Jean Galia (1905-1949), born in Ille-sur-Têt, rugby union and rugby league player.
- Louis Amade (1915–1992), born in Ille-sur-Têt, writer, songwriter for Gilbert Bécaud and Édith Piaf among others.
- Paul Blanc (1937-), former Senator for Pyrénées-Orientales and mayor of Sournia, born in Ille-sur-Têt.
- Paul Loridant (1948-), born in Ille-sur-Têt, Senator for Essonne .
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ille-sur-Têt.|
|This Pyrénées-Orientales geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|