The logo of Illionaire Records
|Founder||The Quiett, Dok2|
|Distributor(s)||CJ E&M, Genuine Music Inc.|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|Location||Seoul, South Korea|
Illionaire Records is an independent South Korean record label formed in January 2011 by rappers The Quiett and Dok2. The label also represents rapper Beenzino. Despite its small size, Illionaire Records is considered one of the most influential hip hop record labels in South Korea due to the popularity of its artists.
Friends and rappers The Quiett and Dok2 formed Illionaire Records on January 1, 2011. They signed rapper Beenzino later that year. The Quiett later said in an interview with Complex that he wanted to start a small label to avoid the traditional k-pop major label system. "On major labels, the money made by the artists is first given to the company to pay the bosses, managers, and staff members. In our case, we’re the bosses," he said. The label has only one employee and none of the three rappers are bound by contracts.
Dok2 and The Quiett represented Illionaire Records on the third season of the TV rap competition Show Me the Money, where they were the producers of winning contestant Bobby of IKON. They, being famous only under-ground, became famous to people after they appeared in the Show Me the Money. Showing the genius recording ability, Illionare Records became even more spotlighted.
Background of Korean Hip-hop culture
Towards the end of the Korean War, Korean people became more acceptable westernized culture.  Especially, the biggest change was accepting Hip-hop culture. Since Korea had really conservative beliefs, it was hard to mingle with a culture that expresses freedom and criticizes society, like Hip-hop does. However, as people's thought has been changed, Hip-hop gained a lot of popularity. Dok2 is one of the pioneers of Hip-hop in Korea.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Illionaire Records.|
- Lee, Madeline. "2 CHAINZ AND ROLLIES: THE NOISEY GUIDE TO KOREAN RAP LABEL ILLIONAIRE RECORDS". Vice. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Cho, Jaeki. "The Rise of Illionaire Records, the Independent Label Taking Korean Hip-Hop to the Next Level". Complex. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "15 Korean Rappers You Should Know That Aren't Psy". XXL Magazine. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "ILLIONAIRE RECORDS, 'They Love Who? (Remix)' Free Track Revealed". HiphopKr. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "The Quiett, Dok2 and Beenzino Releases Free Track 'ILLIONAIRE GANG'". HiphopKr. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Beenzino, Dok2 & The Quiett To Perform In NYC For Asian Music Festival Summer Concert". KpopStarz. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "1LLIONAIRE Records Releases "연결고리 (YGGR) (ft. MC Meta)" Official MV". HiphopKr. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Rappers Dok And The Quiett Confirmed As 'Show Me The Money 5' Producer-Judges". Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- Dixon, Dwayne. "East Asian Youth Cultures Spring 2015". Retrieved 2018-02-26.
|This article about a South Korean record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|