Illustrated Sydney News
First published on 8 October 1853 by Walter George Mason (1820–1866), William Edward Vernon and Ludolf Theodore Mellin. Vernon and Mellin sold their shares of the paper within six months of its first publication and embarked on a new publication The Goulburn Chronicle and Southern Advertiser. The Illustrated Sydney News was published from 1853–1872. From 1872 to 1881 the title was changed to The Illustrated Sydney News and New South Wales Agriculturist and Grazier and then back to the original shorter title between 1881 and 1894.
Philip Holdsworth was editor from the 1880s. Until 1888, the illustrations were wood engravings, each printed in black ink and each of which took one engraver about a week to complete. In August 1888, The Illustrated Sydney News became the first Australian paper to reproduce a photograph using the new half-tone process. The slow and expensive wood engraving process was obsolete.
Publishing in the NSW colony
Most material published in the first twenty years of the New South Wales colony notified soldiers, convicts and private settlers contained 'government orders' printed on a portable wooden and iron printing press and displayed or announced aloud in public places and in churches.
Individual issues can be viewed online at Trove.
- Illustrated Sydney News, Dictionary of Sydney
- Dowling, Peter (1998). "The Culture of Newspapers: The Slow Birth of the Modern Newspaper in Australia, 1890-1940". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Chronology significant Australian Newspaper Events
- "GOLD CIRCULAR.". The Sydney Morning Herald (National Library of Australia). 10 October 1853. p. 2. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Heseltine, H. P. "Holdsworth, Philip Joseph (1851–1902)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: Australian National University. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- Illustrated Sydney News, The University of Sydney
- The birth of the newspaper in Australia Archived October 21, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. (accessed 27 November 2012)
- Australian Newspapers Digitisation Project
- Brown, Jerelynn (2011). "Tabloids in the State Library of NSW collection: A reflection of life in Australia". Australian Journal of Communication 38 (2): 107–121.
- Illustrations of Maritime Interest
- The Illustrated Sydney News, Trove
- Illustrated Sydney News (NSW : 1853–1872) at Trove Digitised newspapers and more
- Other NSW newspapers from the National Library of Australia
- Press timeline: Select chronology of significant Australian press events to 2011.
- The birth of the newspaper in Australia
- Isaacs, Victor, Kirkpatrick, Rod and Russell, John (2004). Australian Newspaper History: A Bibliography
- Isaacs, Victor; Kirkpatrick, Rod, Illustrated Sydney News Index to Illustrations of ships, ports and places, and other items of general maritime interest 1853 to 1889 inclusive, (1990) Compiled by Vaughan Evans
- Two hundred years of Sydney newspapers: A short history, Rural Press Ltd