This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Photo: Patricia Steur
|Born||15 October 1966|
Ilse Huizinga (15 October 1966) is a Dutch jazz singer. She performs throughout Europe.
She lived in Australia for a year and attended the University of Amsterdam where she received a degree in Public Administration. From 1993–1996 she studied music at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam and took master classes with Dianne Reeves and Margriet Eshuis.
Her informal debut was at Ronnie Scott's, and she has also performed at Concertgebouw and Amsterdam's Bijlmerbajes prison. She has toured in Spain, Turkey, Switzerland and France, and regularly performs in the United Kingdom. A winner of the Schiedam Jazz Award, she has represented the Netherlands at the international jazz festival in Vienne, France. In 2011 Huizinga formed Vocal Jazz Trip, a tour operator based in Amsterdam that hosts vocal jazz master classes and jazz themed city breaks in Paris, Berlin, Rome, New York City, Prague, and London
KLM selected Huizinga's debut album Out of a Dream for its in-flight entertainment program. On Voices Within she recorded her own voice five times. Her third album The Sweetest Sounds was voted Album of the Week on Dutch radio and is played on specialist jazz radio stations across Europe. In 2001 Huizinga recorded an album devoted to the songs of Richard Rodgers entitled The Sweetest Sounds.
Huizinga's most celebrated collaboration is with her husband, the pianist, composer, and arranger Erik van der Luijt. Other notable collaborations include double bass player Sven Schuster, percussionist Frits Landesbergen and double bass player Ruud Jacobs.
- Out of a Dream 1997
- Voices Within 1999
- The Sweetest Sounds (Daybreak, 2001)
- Easy to Idolize (Daybreak, 2004)
- Beyond Broadway (Maxanter, 2005)
- The Intimate Sessions with Erik van der Luijt (Foreign Media Group, 2006)
- Here's to Maya Angelou (Daybreak, 2016)
- Download sample, "You Stepped Out of a Dream" (Herbert Brown/Kahn), from the 1997 album Out of a Dream
- "Almost Like Being in Love" (Lerner/Loewe), from the 1999 album Voices Within
- Download sample of the 2005 album Beyond Broadway