Ilya Valentinovich Segalovich
Russian: Илья Валентинович Сегалович
September 13, 1964
|Died||July 27, 2013 (aged 48)|
|Known for||Co-founder of Yandex|
Ilya Valentinovich Segalovich (September 13, 1964 in Gorky (Nizhny Novgorod), Soviet Union – July 27, 2013 in London, U.K.) was a co-founder of Russian search engine Yandex. He was CTO and director of Yandex since 2000 until his death in 2013. Segalovich proposed the name “Yandex” for the search engine, derived from the idea of “Yet Another iNDEX”.
He began his career working on information retrieval technologies in 1990 at Arkadia Company, where he headed their software team. From 1993 to 2000, Ilya Segalovich led the retrieval systems department for CompTek International. He left CompTek to co-found Yandex in 2000. All three of these companies were founded or co-founded by his schoolmate, Arkady Volozh. He had two daughters.
Segalovich was a co-founder and supporter of Maria's Children Art Rehabilitation Center for orphans and children with special needs. He received a degree in geophysics from the S. Ordzhonikidze Russian State Geologic Prospecting University.
On July 25, 2013, Yandex issued a press release stating that Segalovich had died after a long illness. However, the statement was later retracted, with both American and Russian media reporting that he was in a coma with no brain activity. His death was confirmed by Yandex on July 28, 2013. He died of complications from stomach cancer.
- Segalovich, Ilya. "Ilya Segalovich, Yandex co-founder, dies after cancer". Programmer, CEO, Yandex. BBC. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- RBTH Asia Pacific. "Yandex co-founder dies at age 48 | Russia Beyond The Headlines ASIA". Rbth.asia. Archived from the original on 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Умер один из основателей "Яндекса" Илья Сегалович" (in Russian). Forbes.ru. July 25, 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Yandex (28 July 2013). "Yandex Confirms Death of Co-Founder and CTO Ilya Segalovich". Press Release. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Andy Atkins-Krüger, "Yandex: Not Copying But Searching For Google’s Underbelly". Search Engine Land. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Совместный проект Яндекс.Лицей
- Миллиарды Яндекса. В процессе поиска
- Yandex (25 July 2013). "Yandex Announces Death of Co-Founder and CTO Ilya Segalovich". Press Release. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Гендиректор "Яндекса" опроверг сообщение о смерти Ильи Сегаловича". Финам. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Yandex co-founder and chief technology officer in coma". Reuters. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Илья". Yandex Company Blog. Retrieved 28 July 2013.