|Origin||New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Classical, Chamber music, Jazz, Latin|
|Years active||1997 – present|
|Labels||Koch Int'l Classics/Koch Entertainment|
|Members||Valerie Coleman, flute
Toyin Spellman-Diaz, oboe
Mariam Adam, clarinet
Jeff Scott, French horn
Monica Ellis, bassoon
Imani Winds is an American wind quintet based in New York. The group was founded in 1997 and is known for its adventurous programming, which includes newly composed works, as well as compositions featuring African, Latin American, and American influences.
The group has released four CDs. Their first CD on a major label, The Classical Underground (Koch Entertainment), was released in January 2005 and was nominated for a Grammy award in 2006.
Imani Winds have toured throughout the United States and Canada, and participated in Chamber Music Society Two, a professional residency program of The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center. In addition, Imani has toured internationally and recorded with saxophonist Steve Coleman, performed with pop recording artists Morley and opened for Cassandra Wilson and Wynton Marsalis. They have appeared on radio programs including Saint Paul Sunday, Performance Today, News & Notes, The Bob Edwards Show, and The World.
In 2001 they won a scholarship with the Concert Artists Guild.
- Career Wins:
- Career Nominations: 1
|Imani Winds Grammy Awards History|
|2006||Best Classical Crossover Album||Classical||The Classical Underground||Koch Int'l Classics||Nominated|
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers: 2007 ASCAP Foundation Morton Gould Young Composer Awards
- ASCAP "Adventurous Programming" Award - Self-Presenting Chamber Ensembles - Mixed Repertory in 2005
- 2001 Concert Artists Guild award
Valerie Coleman composed a piece for the symphonic winds of Roma High School called "Roma" dedicated to the students of Roma High School, Texas. She composed it in the summer of 2009 and the recording was available to the Audience in spring of 2010.
|2007||Josephine Baker: A Life of Le Jazz Hot!||Cabaret tunes||Koch Int'l Classics|
|2006||Imani Winds||Jazz||Koch Int'l Classics|
|2005||The Classical Underground||Classical||Koch Int'l Classics|
|2002||Umoja||Classical||Self-Produced||featured original works by flutist Valerie Coleman|
With Steve Coleman
- 1999 - The Ascension to Light
- Imani Winds official site
- Imani Winds page at Jay K. Hoffman & Associates, Inc. site
- Imani Winds page from Alliance Artist Management site
- Valerie Coleman Website of Flutist and founder of Imani Winds
- Imani Winds on All Things Considered radio program, June 8, 2005
- Imani Winds on Performance Today radio program, February 22, 2006
- Imani Winds on News & Notes radio program, May 23, 2006
- Imani Winds on All Things Considered radio program, June 11, 2007