Immaculate Conception Academy (California)
|ICA Cristo Rey Academy|
3625 24th Street|
San Francisco, California 94110, USA
|Type||Catholic, Dominican Sisters|
|Founder||Mother General Maria Pia Backes|
|President||Sister Diane Aruda|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Song||ICA Alma Mater|
|Team name||Spartan Warriors|
|Affiliation||Cristo Rey Network|
|Dean||(Students) Lauren Bell|
|Athletics||Director, Carolyn Sideco|
|Activities||Director, Noelle Garcia|
Immaculate Conception Academy , commonly known as ICA Cristo Rey Academy, is a private, all-girls Roman Catholic high school in San Francisco, California. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco.
Immaculate Conception Academy was established in 1883 by the Dominican Sisters. It is an all-girls school in the Dominican tradition sponsored by the Sisters of Mission San Jose. The school is located in the heart of San Francisco. Immaculate Conception became the first all-girls school in the Cristo Rey Network on August 31, 2009. Since then tuition cost for parents has dropped to about one-third of what it was, with employers paying about $30,000 a year to the school for one entry-level job. The work is performed by four students at each job site, one student from each of the four years. Each year has a day off to work one day a week and an additional day once a month. Since Immaculate Conception is now a Cristo Rey School, it accepts only students who meet the low-family-income criteria. In 2017-2018 the school had 30 sponsors and about 100 work-study partners.
Campus ministry offers service opportunities for the students and each year time off from school for a retreat experience.
Athletics supported by the school include volleyball, basketball, cross-country, soccer, golf, swimming, track & field, and flag football. The school is a member of the San Francisco section of the Catholic Athletic Conference.
Notes and references
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ICA. "School History". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- ICA. "ICA Goes Cristo Rey" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- "High School in the Mission Redefines Work Study". MissionLocal. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Admissions criteria". www.icacademy.org. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Partners and sponsors". www.icacademy.org. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Service and retreats". www.icacademy.org. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Athletics". www.icacademy.org. Retrieved 2018-01-03.