Immaculate Conception High School (Montclair, New Jersey)
|Immaculate Conception High School|
The school building's front façade
33 Cottage Place
|Other name||Immaculate Montclair|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Denomination||Sisters of Charity|
|Patron saint(s)||Immaculate Conception, St.Teresa of Calcutta, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton|
|Founder||Rev. Fr. Edward Farrel|
|School board||Board of Trustees|
|School district||Archdiocese of Newark|
|Superintendent||Dr. Margaret Dames|
|Assistant Principal||Michael Seeback|
|Vice principal||Kathleen Badillo|
|Enrollment||179 (as of 2013-14)|
|Student to teacher ratio||7.3:1|
|Color(s)|| Navy blue|
|Athletics conference||Super Essex Conference|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Alumni||Blue Lion Booster Club|
|Admissions Director||Kathleen Badillo|
|Athletic Director||Ryan Horan|
Immaculate Conception High School is a Roman Catholic co-educational college preparatory high school located in Montclair, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. The school operates under the supervision of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1957.
Immaculate Conception High School was established in 1925 as a parish school under the guidance of its founder, Rev. Edward M. Farrel. The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth began their connection to the school with the appointment of Mother Mary Alexandrine as the school's first principal.
Per its mission statement, Immaculate Conception High School "strives, within the context of family to develop the whole person: morally, intellectually, emotionally, and physically, recognizing the work and uniqueness of each individual".
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 179 students and 24.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 7.3:1. The school's enrollment was 1.7% White, 78.2% Black, 17.9% Hispanic, 0.6% Asian and 1.7% two or more races.
The Immaculate Conception High School Lions compete in the Super Essex Conference, which includes public and private high schools in Essex County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Prior to the 2010 realignment of the NJSIAA, the school had previously participated in the Colonial Hills Conference; which included public and parochial high schools covering Essex County, Morris County and Somerset County in west Central Jersey.
Dominique Booker won the 55 meter dash at the 2009 Meet of Champions with a time of 6.92 seconds, setting a meet record that was also the fastest time in the nation for the event that year.
At the 2011 Meet of Champions, Mirabel Nkenke won a silver medal with a time of 56.21 in the 400 meter dash, setting a school record for the event.
- Rich Kenah (born 1970), middle distance runner who was a member of the US Team at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.
- Jose L. Linares (born 1953), Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Naturi Naughton (born 1984), actress and singer-songwriter who was one-third of the R&B trio 3LW.
- School data for Immaculate Conception High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 15, 2017.
- Immaculate Conception Montclair, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- Immaculate Conception High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed August 15, 2011.
- Essex County Catholic High Schools, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- History, Immaculate Conception High School. Accessed May 8, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017 Archived 2012-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- Home Page, Colonial Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive, as of November 19, 2010. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Staff. "Montclair Immaculate's Booker sprints to 55 dash M of C record", The Star-Ledger, February 11, 2009. Accessed August 30, 2011. "It has been an emotional, roller-coaster ride for the Montclair Immaculate junior this winter, but it culminated with a tight embrace with coach Haneefah Norman after Booker captured the 55-meter dash title in a meet-record 6.92 yesterday.... Booker shaved a hundredth of a second off the meet record, set by Chatham's Ogechi Nwaneri of Chatham last winter, with the No. 1 time in the country this season, surpassing the 6.96 posted by Ashton Purvis from St. Elizabeth of California on Jan. 19."
- Sillery, Bob. "Nkenke's shaving of seconds off time earns silver medal at Meet of Champions", The Montclair Times, June 17, 2011. Accessed August 30, 2011. "Immaculate Conception junior Mirabel Nkenke placed second in the 400-meter dash at the NJSIAA Meet of Champions last Thursday, setting a school record while knocking 2.31 off her time from the Non-Public B Championships a week earlier. "
- Rich Kenah, USA Track & Field. Accessed January 21, 2008.
- Judge in N.J. corruption cases recalls long road from Havana to NewarkNJ.com. Accessed March 3, 2016.