This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Imphy bridge
|Intercommunality||Fil de Loire|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Joëlle Julien|
|Area1||16.62 km2 (6.42 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||58134 /58160|
|Elevation||176–262 m (577–860 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Imphy is known in particular for its steel-works, renowned for their special steels which were useful in particular for the north foot of the Eiffel Tower in 1889. The Société de Commentry, Fourchambault et Decazeville was formed in 1853 through a merger of the Fourchambault foundry, Imphy steelworks, Montluçon (Allier) foundry and Commentry (Allier) colliery. The Imphy steelworks was detached from the company and combined with the Saint-Seurin steelworks. They were adapted to use the Bessemer process. In 1869 the two steelworks were reunited with the company. In 1954 the company was renamed the Société métallurgique d'Imphy. In 1968 it was merged with the Société des forges et aciéries du Creusot, which in 1971 became Creusot-Loire. The combined company was in turn absorbed by Creusot-Loire (Saône-et-Loire) in 1971. The Creusot-Loire group was liquidated in December 1984.
At the time of the 1999 census, the population was 4,015. In 2013, it was 3,559. The fall in population is attributed to a decline in industrial activities in the area. At one time the factories of Imphy employed up to 3,000 workers. Today, they (ArcelorMittal and Aubert&Duval) employ only about 1,000 workers.
- Hubert Bourdot (Imphy, 30 October 1861 – 30 September 1937) was a French Roman Catholic priest and mycologist
- Charles Cliquet (Imphy, 21 January 1891 - Paris, 27 March 1956), member of French Resistance, Compagnon de la Libération
- Stéphane Faye (Imphy, 10 May 1867 - Saint-Avé, 15 November 1947), writer
Imphy in the cinema
In Luc Moullet's short film, Imphy capitale de la France (1995), Moullet proposed making the town of Imphy the new capital of France, being ideally situated at the geographic centre of France.
- Aperam Alloys Imphy, on the web site imphy.com. Retrieved 3 January 2017. (in French)
- Société de Commentry - Fourchambault – industrie.lu.
- Dassé 2006, p. 3.
- Dassé, Pauline (2006), Société de Commentry, Fourchambault et Decazeville (59 Aq Et 1996 064 - 36 Mi) Inventaire Des Archives Photographiques (PDF) (in French), Centre Des Archives du Monde du Travail, retrieved 2017-08-03
- "Société de Commentry - Fourchambault", industrie.lu (in French), retrieved 2017-08-02
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Imphy.|
|This Nièvre geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|