import.io official logo
|Founders||Matthew Painter, (CTO)
Andrew Fogg, (CDO),
|Headquarters||Los Gatos, CA|
|Gary Read (CEO)|
import.io is a web-based platform for extracting data from websites without writing any code. The tool allows people to convert unstructured web data into a structured format for use in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Retail Price Monitoring, Store Locators as well as academic and other research. It is also used extensively by investigative journalists.
Users enter a URL and the app attempts to automatically extract the data that it thinks you need, if the automatic extraction does not provide exactly what you need, a point and click interface allows you to "train" the app what to extract. The data that users collect is stored on Import.io’s cloud servers and can be downloaded as CSV, Excel, Google Sheets, JSON or accessed via API. Users can easily integrate live web data into their own applications or third party analytics and visualization software. Thousands of data sources can be extracted simultaneously.
The company has offices in Los Gatos, CA and London. The company was founded by David White, Andrew Fogg and Matthew Painter. Import.io incorporated in June 2012 and launched the first version of its SaaS app in April 2016.
Import.io has raised a total of $17.3M from its founders along with Angel Investors David Axmark (co-founder of MySQL) and Louis Monier (co-founder of AltaVista) as well as Venture Capital firms Touchstone Innovations, Oxford Capital, Delin Capital, OpenOcean, Jerry Yang's (founder of Yahoo) fund AME Cloud Ventures and Wellington Partners. 
import.io has a number of features:
- Auto-extraction - Automatically extract data from web pages into a structured dataset
- Extractor builder - Point and click to build extractors
- Authentication - Extract data from behind a login/password
- Scheduler - Schedule extractors to run exactly when you need them to
- Online datastore - Use the SaaS platform to store data that is extracted
- Throughput - Fast, parallelized data acquisition distributed automatically by scalable cloud architecture
- Uptime - High availability for high volume usage
- Integrations - Integrations with Google Sheets, Excel, Tableau and many others. Generate example code to integrate with your own data sources in the language of your choice
- Free version and free trial available on https://www.import.io
- "Winning and Strata Santa Clara", import.io blog, March 6, 2013
- Stacey Higginbotham, "Import.io wins the Structure:Europe 2013 Launchpad", GigaOm, September 18, 2013
- Sieuwert van Otterloo, "Placemeter and Import IO winners of the Websummit startup competition", StartUpJuncture, November 1, 2013
- Crunchbase, "import.io Crunchbase profile", Crunchbase.com
- Mike Butcher, "Import.io raises $13m Series A for its data extraction platform", Tech Crunch, January 12, 2016
- , "import.io features"