|Born||1973 (age 49–50)|
Apple Advanced Technology Group (1995-97)
Apple Human Interface Team (1998-2017)
|Known for||iPhone, iPad, multitouch|
Imran Chaudhri (born 1973) is a British-American designer, who created user interface and interaction designs for the iPhone. While at Apple from 1995 to 2017, he was a designer on products including the Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, AirPods, and HomePod.
After starting at Apple as an intern in 1995, Chaudhri spent 19 years working at Apple as a designer. He and fellow designer Bas Ording updated the appearance of macOS and worked to create a new touch-based interface, replacing buttons with gestures. Chaudhri is credited as an inventor on several Apple patents, including a touch screen.
Chaudhri was part of a small iPhone design team that made the original iPhone interface. Previously, he worked on Dashboard, a widget interface on macOS. In addition to creating many iPhone features with other designers, Chaudhri created a grid of square app icons to organize the iPhone's functions, commonly referred to as the home screen, complete with its rearrangement functionality.
- Kahney, Leander. Jony Ive: The Genius Behind Apple's Greatest Products, New York: Portfolio/Penguin, 2013. ISBN 978-1591846178
- Merchant, Brian. The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone, New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2017. ISBN 978-0316546164
- Merchant, The One Device, p. 15.
- Brown, Damon (20 December 2019). "How to Know It's Time to Leave Your Prominent Job". Inc. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Brian Merchant, The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone, New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2017, p. 373.
- Zach Ezer, "Five Things You Might Not Know From 'The Secret History of the iPhone'," Gizmodo, June 22, 2017.
- "The iPad's original software designer and program lead look back on the device's first 10 years". Input. 27 January 2020.
- Merchant, The One Device, pp. 24-28.
- Yoni Heisler, "Steve Jobs wanted the original iPhone to have a permanent 'back button' like Android," BGR, June 19, 2017.
- Mikey Campbell, "Apple's multitouch 'Steve Jobs patent' revalidated in full by USPTO," AppleInsider, October 17, 2013.
- Brian Merchant, "What is the iPhone? 10 Years In, Its Creators and Chroniclers Explain," Motherboard, June 29, 2017.
- Schwab, Katharine (27 August 2018). "The iPhone's original UI designer on Apple's greatest flaws". Fast Company.
- "He helped design the iPhone. Now he wants to fix the relationship between humans and technology". Fast Company.
- Brian Merchant, "The Secret Origin Story of the iPhone," The Verge, June 13, 2017.
- Merchant, The One Device, p. 209.
- "Apple Granted 19 Patents Covering the iPhone, iOS, Folder Management, the UI Jiggle Effect & Much More," Patently Apple, April 16, 2013.
- James Titcomb, "Steve Jobs wanted a 'back button' on the original iPhone, designer claims," The Telegraph, June 20, 2017.
- Merchant, The One Device, p. 376.