7 August 1982 |
Kagiso, Transvaal Province, South Africa
|Occupation||Journalist, Author, Television presenter|
|Notable credit(s)||The Stream
Al Jazeera America News
The Thunder That Roars
|Title||Presenter of The Newsmakers on TRT World|
|Awards||Olive Schreiner Prize|
Imran Garda (born 7 August 1982) is a journalist, presenter and award-winning novelist. He is the host of The Newsmakers on TRT World. He was formerly the host of Third Rail on Al Jazeera America based in New York City. Imran was also a senior presenter and producer for AJ+, Al Jazeera Media Network's all digital video news channel based in San Francisco. Previously, he worked for Al Jazeera English in Doha, Qatar and Washington, DC. He also hosted the award-winning show The Stream.
His media career began as a sports presenter and reporter for SuperSport in South Africa in 2002. He covered mostly cricket and football. While at Supersport he was published as a freelance writer on politics - which included a series on Bosnia-Herzegovina ten years after the Balkan Wars ended.
With Al Jazeera
Garda worked in two different stints at Al Jazeera.
Imran joined Al Jazeera English in 2006 initially as a sports presenter but was moved to news during the piloting phase. He anchored the news and Inside Story from Doha, Kuala Lumpur and Washington DC. He also hosted the award-winning (RTS) The Stream until he left the network in 2012. He reported from the US, Sudan, Turkey, Egypt, Namibia, Bahrain, Lesotho, India, South Africa and the Hajj in Saudi Arabia. Garda hosted a 13-part series on the aftermath of the War in Gaza - Focus on Gaza and presented the long-form documentaries The Father of the Turks, A Voyage of Life and Death and India's Silent War. He also contributed feature articles and blog posts to Aljazeera.com and The Huffington Post. On 7 June 2012, Al Jazeera English announced that Imran would be returning to South Africa.
In 2013 Imran returned to the network for the network's digital channel AJ+ based in San Francisco, California where he specialized in short documentaries, including a special on Black Lives Matter protesters in Ferguson, Missouri. Beginning in 2015, Imran also anchored the news at Al Jazeera America in New York City. On April 16, 2015 it was announced that Imran would host a show on Al Jazeera America called Third Rail, an hour-long, guest-driven debate program focused on under-reported stories and hot-button topics.
In October 2015, Garda joined TRT World, Turkish Radio and Television Corporation's English-language channel as host of The Newsmakers, an interview and debate program with "in-depth reports and strong, unfiltered debates - examining the people and the stories that are shaping our lives."
Garda documented the challenges of doing journalism in the country.
Novel - The Thunder That Roars
In June 2014 Umuzi, an imprint of Penguin Random House published his debut novel The Thunder That Roars. The book was awarded the 2015 Olive Schreiner Prize for prose and optioned for a feature film. A tale of a journalist who embarks on a journey to find a missing family friend and uncovers long-held family secrets and undergoes an inward journey of his own, the book was described by adjudicators as, “South African literature [that] soars above the tortuous apartheid history and redefines globalisation. Reviewer Eric Garland called it, "[A] breathtakingly strong debut novel about the self-discovery and strained relationships of human beings in an era that defies understanding." It was also long-listed for The Etisalat Prize for Literature.
Garda has interviewed many influential people throughout his career. They include:
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Former President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai, US Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill, Former Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf, UN Humanitarian Chief Stephen O'Brien, Former Israeli Ambassador to the UN Dan Gillerman, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, Former Chief UN Weapons Inspector in Iraq Richard Butler, Former US Special Envoy to Sudan Scott Gration, Former President of Georgia and Governor of Odessa Oblast Mikheil Saakashvili, Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, Former UN Special Envoy to Afghanistan Kai Eide, Former Irish President Mary Robinson, Former IAEA Chief Hans Blix, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, Former Iraq Prime Minister and Vice President Ayad Allawi, Tibetan PM in exile Lobsang Sangay, Rwandan Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo, UN Human Rights Chief Navi Pillay, Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon, ICC Chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, Former UN Humanitarian Chief John Holmes, Bosnian President Haris Silajdzic, UN Deputy Secretary General Jan Eliasson, philosopher Slavoj Zizek, Former US Ambassador to Syria Robert Ford, Former Iranian Chief Nuclear Negotiator Seyyed Hossein Mousavian, Former Cricketer turned Politician Imran Khan.
He has interviewed spokespersons and ministers from governments across the world. He has also had the opportunity to interview non-state actors from groups such as Hamas, Somali rebel groups, Chechen rebels, Uganda's LRA and other designated terror groups. He has chaired panels for the World Humanitarian Summit, United Nations Human Rights Council and Advertising Week.
- "Imran Garda's novel The Thunder That Roars wins the 2015 Olive Schreiner Prize for Prose". Penguin SA @ Sunday Times Books LIVE. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "Al Jazeera America's Third Rail Debuts Tonight". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Al Jazeera launches AJ+, a global news community for those who don't watch news on TV anymore - Dignited". 2014-09-17. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "How They Did It: Al Jazeera's The Stream". Online News Association. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Awards". pr.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "One on One with Imran Garda - The Daily Vox". 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Father of the Turks". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Garda, Imran. "A voyage of life and death". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Correspondent, Al Jazeera. "India's Silent War". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Imran Garda". Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Goodbye Imran!". Al Jazeera English. 7 June 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-06-19. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Al Jazeera launches digital channel AJ+ in bid to woo younger viewers - Doha News". 2014-09-15. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "TRT World: Tough talks - Issue 93 - Magazine". Monocle. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Tv Schedule | TRT World". www.trtworld.com. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- TRT World (2016-04-22), The Newsmakers in North Korea, retrieved 2016-07-26
- World, Imran Garda Host of The Newsmakers on TRT (2016-05-03). "The Minds of the Minders: A North Korean Diary". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- TRT World (2016-06-25), The Newsmakers: UK EU Referendum Special, Part 1, retrieved 2016-07-26
- "Imran Garda's The Thunder That Roars Launched with John Maytham at The Book Lounge". Penguin SA @ Sunday Times Books LIVE. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Garda, Imran (2014-05-19). The Thunder that Roars (1 ed.). Umuzi.
- "Imran Garda's novel The Thunder That Roars wins the 2015 Olive Schreiner Prize for Prose". Penguin SA @ Sunday Times Books LIVE. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Book Review: "The Thunder That Roars" by Imran Garda". Eric Garland. 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Literature, Etisalat Prize For. "Etisalat Prize For Literature". prize.etisalat.com.ng. Archived from the original on 2016-08-18. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- TRT World (2016-06-02), TRT World's interview with UN Special Envoy for Global Education Gordon Brown, retrieved 2016-07-26
- TRT World (2016-08-01), The Newsmakers with Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai, retrieved 2016-08-04
- Al Jazeera English (2010-04-05), 'Tough negotiations ahead' for Iraq, retrieved 2016-07-26
- Al Jazeera (2011-10-26), The Stream - Musharraf ready to return to Pakistan, retrieved 2016-07-26
- TRT World (2016-03-10), The Newsmakers: Interview with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, retrieved 2016-07-26
- TRT World (2016-07-06), The Newsmakers: Interview with Richard Butler, Former UN Chief Weapons Inspector, retrieved 2016-07-26
- Al Jazeera English (2010-03-12), US envoy praises Darfur peace talks, retrieved 2016-08-04
- TRT World (2016-02-12), The Newsmakers: The Iowa Caucus and Ukraine Crisis, retrieved 2016-08-04
- Al Jazeera English (2009-10-21), Interview: Kai Eide UN Special Representative in Afghanistan, retrieved 2016-07-26
- "Witness - Video of US attack in Iraq 'genuine'". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Al Jazeera English (1969-12-31), Talk to Al Jazeera - NASA administrator Charles Bolden, retrieved 2016-07-26
- Al Jazeera (2011-11-07), The Stream - Tibetan PM speaks out after self-immolations, retrieved 2016-07-26
- TRT World (2016-06-02), TRT World's interview with UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson, retrieved 2016-07-26
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Imran Garda.|