|United States, Latin America, Caribbean|
InSight Crime is a non-profit journalism and investigative organization specialized in organized crime in Latin America and the Caribbean. The organization has offices in Washington, D.C. and Medellín, Colombia.
InSight Crime has received funds from the Open Society Foundations and American University’s Center for Latin American and Latino Studies, and worked in Colombia together with the think tank Fundación Ideas para la Paz.
InSight Crime was founded by Jeremy McDermott and Steven Dudley in April 2010 under the endorsement of the Fundación Ideas para la Paz (FIP) in Bogotá, Colombia and with the financial support of the Open Society Foundation (headed by George Soros). By August 2010, the Center for Latin American and Latino Studies at the American University became a sponsor.
According to the organization, it was founded in order to create an online platform that "connects the pieces, the players and organizations" involved in Latin American crime and "the effectiveness of the initiatives designed to stop them."
InSight Crime launched its website in December 2010 with news on organized crime and profiles of drug trafficking organizations and criminal personalities in Colombia and Mexico. The website has since expanded to include information about every major country in the Americas.
The website intends to create an "information resource and networking tool designed for students, academics, analysts, researchers, policymakers, journalists, non-governmental workers, government officials and businesses to obtain the information and contacts they need to tackle the problems that organized crime increasingly presents in Latin America and the Caribbean."
- Menjivar, Vincent (5 June 2012). "Organized Crime Finds Fertile Ground Across Latin America". The Christian Post. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Providing Insight: A Look into Organized Crime". Open Society Foundations. 2 March 2011. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Mexico's Criminal Insurgency: A Small Wars Journal. iUniverse. 24 March 2012. p. 100. ISBN 978-1475927290. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "About InSight - Organized Crime". InSight Crime. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "InSight Crime: A Web-based Clearinghouse on Organized Crime in Latin America". Washington D.C.: American University. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- McDermott, Jeremy (Winter 2012). "Investigating Organized Crime". ReVista. Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard University. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
Colombian conflict (1964–present)
• Patriotic Union Party extermination
Illegal drug trade
||Government of Colombia||Paramilitaries|
Former government program