In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up
|In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up|
|Live album by Ministry|
|Released||September 4, 1990|
|Recorded||February 22, 1990, Merrillville, Indiana at the Holiday Star Theatre|
|Producer||Hypo Luxa, Hermes Pan|
In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up is a live album by the industrial metal band Ministry. The album was released on September 4, 1990. On July 7, 2017, 14 tracks from the same show were released through the band's Bandcamp page under the title Live Necronomicon.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|The Village Voice||A–|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|Spin Alternative Record Guide||8 / 10|
In 2005, In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up was ranked number 328 in Rock Hard magazine's book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.
This 2017 re-release features more songs including covers from side-projects & bands like Lard, a Jourgensen and Barker side project featuring Jello Biafra, and Skinny Puppy with their frontman Nivek Ogre on vocals. In addition, the songs that had already appeared on In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (eg. The Missing) are presented raw and without any of the overdubbing present on the initial release.
|1.||"Breathe"||Al Jourgensen, Paul Barker, William Rieflin, Chris Connelly, Kevin Ogilvie||8:37|
|4.||"Man Should Surrender"||Jourgensen, Barker, Rieflin, Ian MacKaye||3:54|
|5.||"No Bunny"||Jourgensen, Barker, Rieflin, MacKaye, Eric Spicer||6:15|
|6.||"Smothered Hope" (Skinny Puppy cover)||Ogilvie, Kevin Crompton||5:11|
|7.||"So What"||Jourgensen, Barker, Rieflin, Connelly||11:19|
|8.||"Burning Inside"||Jourgensen, Barker, Rieflin, Connelly||6:38|
|1.||"Thieves"||Jourgensen, Barker, Connelly||5:09|
|3.||"Public Image" (Public Image Ltd cover)||John Lydon, Keith Levene, Jah Wobble, Jim Walker||2:47|
|4.||"The Power of Lard"||Jourgensen, Barker, Jeff Ward, Jello Biafra||8:11|
|5.||"Hellfudge"||Jourgensen, Barker, Ward, Biafra||7:03|
|6.||"The Land of Rape & Honey"||Jourgensen, Barker||5:36|
A companion home video also exists, featuring the same tracks as the audio except it is bookended by two "bonus" songs and incorporates footage from two concerts, including the Merriville, Indiana concert and a December 1989 New Year's Eve concert in Chicago. According to Patty Marsh (Al Jourgensen's wife in this time), the band were annoyed at having to wear exactly the same clothing on both concert dates and the video was difficult to edit properly due to small differences in each.
The beginning of the concert starts with a very textured dual drum jam then segues into "Breathe". After playing Stigmata, Jello Biafra comes on stage and reads his own rendition of The Pledge of Allegiance. After that, the band returns for an encore of "The Land of Rape and Honey." Biafra remains on stage giving an almost dadaist performance art routine, largely alternating between sucking his thumb and giving a Nazi salute.
- "Ministry - 2/22/90". Prongs.org. 1990-02-22. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Live Necronomicon, by Ministry". Ministry. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- Raggett, Ned. "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up - Ministry". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Robbins, Ira (September 7, 1990). "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- "Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up CD Album". CD Universe. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- McLeod, Kembrew (November 2004). "Ministry". In Brackett, Nathan. The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York: Simon & Schuster. p. 544. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8 – via Google Books.
- Christgau, Robert (October 23, 1990). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. Retrieved December 18, 2016.
- Larkin, Colin, ed. (1998). "Ministry". Encyclopedia of Popular Music. 5 (3rd ed.). Muse UK Ltd. pp. 3692–3693. ISBN 1561592374 – via Internet Archive.
- Weisbard, Eric; Marks, Craig, eds. (1995). Spin Alternative Record Guide. New York: Vintage Books. pp. 250–251. ISBN 0-679-75574-8.
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 79. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.
- "Session with Patty Jourgensen". prongs.org. 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "The Jello Biafra Pledge of Allegiance". Branchfloridians.org. Retrieved 2012-02-24.