In Dubious Battle (film)
|In Dubious Battle|
|Directed by||James Franco|
|Screenplay by||Matt Rager|
In Dubious Battle|
by John Steinbeck
|Music by||Volker Bertelmann|
|Cinematography||Bruce Thierry Cheung|
|Distributed by||Momentum Pictures|
In Dubious Battle is a 2016 drama film directed and produced by James Franco, loosely based on John Steinbeck's novel of the same name, with a screenplay by Matt Rager. The film features an ensemble cast, consisting of Franco, Nat Wolff, Josh Hutcherson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Robert Duvall, Selena Gomez, Keegan Allen and Ed Harris. The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 3, 2016.
According to Brian Tallerico of rogerebert.com, "In Dubious Battle is the story of the working class during the Depression, striking against an increasingly cruel establishment in ways that would lead to the formation of workers'rights, including a minimum wage.... Two men...essentially form a union of workers after their wages are cut from $3 an hour to $1 an hour." The ending is apocalyptic, with management's victory.
- James Franco as Mac McLeod
- Nat Wolff as Jim Nolan
- Josh Hutcherson as Vinnie
- Vincent D'Onofrio as London
- Robert Duvall as Chris Bolton
- Selena Gomez as Lisa London
- Keegan Allen as Keller
- Ed Harris as Joy
- Bryan Cranston as Sheriff
- Sam Shepard as Mr. Anderson
- Zach Braff as Connor
- Ahna O'Reilly as Edith "Edie" Malone
- Analeigh Tipton as Vera
- Scott Haze as Frank
- Alex Morf as Burke
- Danny McBride as Tramp
- Jacob Loeb as Paul
- Ashley Greene as Danni Stevens
- Austin Stowell as Eddie
- Joel Marsh Garland as Al Anderson
- Jack Kehler as Dr Burton
- John Savage as Dan
On January 30, 2015, it was announced that James Franco would not only direct the film but star in it too. Also cast was Vincent D'Onofrio, Robert Duvall, Ed Harris, Bryan Cranston, Selena Gomez, and Danny McBride has joined the production.
On March 16, 2015, Nat Wolff was cast in the lead role of Jim Nolan, the organizer of the strike by apple pickers in California. In the next two days, Josh Hutcherson, Zach Braff, Analeigh Tipton, John Savage, Ashley Greene, and Ahna O'Reilly would join the currently film production. Several days later on March 24, 2015, it was announced that Scott Haze has been cast as Frank.
Principal photography began on March 19, 2015 in Atlanta including Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth, Georgia, filming also took place in Bostwick, Georgia, and Cowiche, Washington. Production on the film ended in September 2015.
A full trailer was released on January 28, 2017.
The film gained mixed reviews at its world premiere, with Owen Gleiberman of Variety noting that Franco "has acquired skills that are beginning to fuse with the best of his instincts." Gleiberman also says that "In Dubious Battle isn't a totally clear-cut good movie, but it's a scrupulous and watchable one. And it makes me think, for the first time, that James Franco has a good movie in him."
Boyd van Hoeij of The Hollywood Reporter simply called the film and Franco as "uneven" but also states that "if In Dubious Battle remains watchable, it's because Wolff really sells his character's doubts, growth and sobering reality checks".
- "In Dubious Battle". Film Ratings. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "In Dubious Battle". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- "Venice Film Festival 2016". Deadline Hollywood. 28 July 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Tallerico, Brian (February 17, 2017). "In Dubious Battle".
- Justin Kroll (January 30, 2015). "James Franco Assembles Cast for Adaptation of 'In Dubious Battle'". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Anita Busch (March 16, 2015). "Nat Wolff Takes Lead In James Franco's 'In Dubious Battle'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Dave McNary (March 18, 2015). "Josh Hutcherson, Zach Braff Join James Franco's 'In Dubious Battle'". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Anita Busch (March 17, 2015). "John Savage Joins James Franco's 'In Dubious Battle'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Justin Kroll (March 24, 2015). "James Franco Taps 'Child of God' Star for 'In Dubious Battle' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Jennifer Brett (March 19, 2015). "James Franco on the set of "In Dubious Battle"". ajc.com. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- "'Putting Steinbeck on screen is TOUGH!' James Franco admits he's finding directing In Dubious Battle a challenge". Daily Mail. March 21, 2015. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Pat Muir (October 1, 2015). "'In Dubious Battle' James Franco movie extras rub shoulders with stars'". yakimaherald.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Briones, Isis. "Selena Gomez's Brand-New Trailer Shows Off Her Most Dramatic Role Yet". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "In Dubious Battle Trailer: James Franco and Selena Gomez Lead the Resistance". Vulture. January 28, 2017. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- "In Dubious Battle". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- "James Franco Starts an Apple Revolution in the 'In Dubious Battle' Trailer". Screen Crush. January 28, 2017. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- "Venice Film Review: James Franco's 'In Dubious Battle'". Variety. September 2, 2016. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- Cite error: The named reference
THRreviewwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).