In Old Kentucky (1927 film)
|In Old Kentucky|
|Directed by||John M. Stahl|
|Written by||Lew Lipton
Marian Ainslee (titles)
Ruth Cummings (titles)
|Screenplay by||A. P. Younger
|Story by||A. P. Younger|
|Based on||In Old Kentucky
by Charles T. Dazey
|Edited by||Margaret Booth|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
In Old Kentucky is a 1927 American silent drama film produced and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and directed by John M. Stahl. The film was based on the popular 1893 play of the same name by Charles T. Dazey and stars Helene Costello and James Murray. In Old Kentucky also features an early performance by Lincoln Perry who later became known as Stepin Fetchit. The performance proved to be a breakthrough for Perry who signed a five-year contract with Fox Film Corporation shortly after the film's release.
The film is a remake of the 1919 film of the same name which was M-G-M studio head Louis B. Mayer's first production as an independent producer. The play was adapted for the screen a third time in 1935 starring Will Rogers in one of his final film appearances.
- James Murray as Jimmy Brierly
- Helene Costello as Nancy Holden
- Wesley Barry as Skippy Lowry
- Dorothy Cumming as Mrs. Brierly
- Edward Martindel as Mr. Brierly
- Harvey Clark as Dan Lowry
- Stepin Fetchit as Highpockets
- Carolynne Snowden as Lily May
- Nick Cogley as Uncle Bible
- Dean Harrell (uncredited)
- Mildred Washington (uncredited)
- White Munden, Kenneth, ed. (1997). The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States, Part 1. University of California Press. p. 378. ISBN 0-520-20969-9.
- Bordman, Gerald; Hischak, Thomas S. (2004). The Oxford Companion to American Theatre. Oxford University Press. p. 331. ISBN 0-195-16986-7.
- Petro, Patrice, ed. (2010). Idols of Modernity: Movie Stars of the 1920s. Rutgers University Press. p. 243. ISBN 0-813-54929-9.
- Sragow, Michael (2013). Victor Fleming: An American Movie Master. University Press of Kentucky. p. 38. ISBN 0-813-14443-4.
- Maturi, Richard J.; Buckingham Maturi, Mary (1999). Will Rogers, Performer: An Illustrated Biography With a Filmography. McFarland. p. 174. ISBN 0-786-40637-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to In Old Kentucky (1927 film).|
|This article about a silent drama film from the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|